free website stats program Possible Project | Harley Davidson Forums

Possible Project

jloomis19

Im thinking about doing a possible project. It will prolly take me forever to do, but I would like to build a bike. No clue where I would get half of this stuff, but I kinda want an old skool thing, maybe like shovel w/kick start and electric ignition. Chassis Id like something like a 36 degree rake, somewhere in there. I have no clue about what kinda frames or who makes them, and what is good. Any ideas or input from anyone would be helpfull, bc this will be a learning experience, bc I will be doing everything myself, even stripping a tank and fenders and even the frame down and painting it as well. But again, any thoughts on what not to do when building a bike, lol.

Perhaps you can buy a half finished bike or a complete bike to work on.
Starting a new project takes a lot of time and effort, especially when you haven never done it before.

I"ve thought about building a bike as well. But I'd probably just buy a kit when I was ready to take on that endeavour.

for engines you can try and buy an original or there are many companies making replica engines nowadays.. since you have neve done this before you may want to look into a roller. That will give you the basics and you will be able to see it assembled on the website so you will have some idea of what the finished product will look like...there will still be a bunch of little parts that will be needed but a roller will give you a head start.

I would say go to some swap meets, you can pick up a lot of parts for a little money and you can see a good variety of parts that you might like (even rolling frames)

Im thinking about doing a possible project. It will prolly take me forever to do, but I would like to build a bike. No clue where I would get half of this stuff, but I kinda want an old skool thing, maybe like shovel w/kick start and electric ignition. Chassis Id like something like a 36 degree rake, somewhere in there. I have no clue about what kinda frames or who makes them, and what is good. Any ideas or input from anyone would be helpfull, bc this will be a learning experience, bc I will be doing everything myself, even stripping a tank and fenders and even the frame down and painting it as well. But again, any thoughts on what not to do when building a bike, lol.

This is what I want to do some day when I get my round tuit:

1948 REPLICA PANHEAD KIT BIKE

The basic kits actually come from these guys. Road Rat Roberts adds some bits and pieces to make it more complete and easier to do:

V-Twin Manufacturing® - Aftermarket Products for Harley Davidson and Antique Motorcycle Parts (check out "Kit Bikes")

TQ

That 48 pan looks and sounds sweet. I would love to build one my self. great idea! I think I would have to leave off the H-D emblems. And paint it White (chevy) White. Ps. Don't get in a hurry. Take your time. enjoy!

thanks for all the info guys, i most likely will go with a roller. and as far as engine work goes, im pretty good with motors, so i would be ok to build one up, but if i found one in good shape, i wouldnt be opposed to just rebuilding it...otherwise, i could always drop like 4k on one from s&s, lol, but i dont see that one happening.

i will when the time comes be build a monster sportster into a flyrite rigid frame with springers.
no paint i will be just clear coating the frame and tin's so you will see any rust blemishes and so on :D

I have a sportster project going now. hope to have pics in a couple weeks. started with a weldon hardtail. 6 inch flat fender, 70's style king and queen, tombstone tail, 33 inch sissy, 8 over DNA springer, upturned fishtail straight pipes,4 inch early fl risers and 12 inch apes. rear is almost done and then we cut the neck for the springer.

I have a sportster project going now. hope to have pics in a couple weeks. started with a weldon hardtail. 6 inch flat fender, 70's style king and queen, tombstone tail, 33 inch sissy, 8 over DNA springer, upturned fishtail straight pipes,4 inch early fl risers and 12 inch apes. rear is almost done and then we cut the neck for the springer.

here's a pic after we cut the frame and welded on the hartail with the seat sitting on top.

2009_0617sportchop0009.JPG

Back