free website stats program Possible Oil Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Possible Oil Issue

ahern25

Did my oil change. Added 3 1/4 qts of oil. Check cold, reached half way on dip stick. According to service manual that equates to full when hot. Rode it for two days checked oil when hot and dip stick marked full. Today checked it cold again but now the dip stick marked 3/4 full. In my mind that would put me over the full marker when hot. Have not rode it, worried I might hurt the engine. Any advise would help has anyone had this issue before? Its an 09 Road King only 5000 miles.

If you are between upper line and lower line that is operating range. If it gives peace of mind fill to upper level. The engine is design to accept oil at that level. I know I might get some ribbing but when I change my oil and filter I just dump the 4 quarts in and not let the bottles completely drain out. So when I check oil it always ends up at full mark.

Oil level on any dry sump system should be checked when hot on a cold check you are checking for a presence of oil
if you do have a wee bit too much in the system it will tend to get rid of the excess through the breathers into the air cleaner
so best to take it out for a wee run get it hot and check for correct level

Brian

Did my oil change. Added 3 1/4 qts of oil. Check cold, reached half way on dip stick. According to service manual that equates to full when hot. Rode it for two days checked oil when hot and dip stick marked full. Today checked it cold again but now the dip stick marked 3/4 full. In my mind that would put me over the full marker when hot. Have not rode it, worried I might hurt the engine. Any advise would help has anyone had this issue before? Its an 09 Road King only 5000 miles.
No problem Ride It.

The oil IF between the add and the full mark is okay to ride.. Check it again when you are done with the ride when Hot like before and tell me where the level was this time.. Even if ON full it will be Just Fine.

My 09 is really Never exactly the same at every check,,, but well with-in the limits (like yours) of where it Should be.. Mine when Hot usually shows a 1/4 inch short of the Full Mark. That's where I like to keep it (checked hot)

signed....BUBBIE

Hlaf way between the marks when cold seems to work out to reading on the full mark when hot. That's been my experience.

As others reply - you're good to go...not going to ruin motor at all. If anything, you might get a little "blow-by" out the a/c, but that's a common symptom on alot of HD's. Ride on!

Thanks for the replies, one more question. When I shut down I check the oil level and when the cap opens I hear air release as if I was opening a coke bottle. Not sure if this is normal. The oil marks the same. Have not tried it on a hot engine yet. Not sure if oil will shoot out and burn me.

You shouldn't get a lot of pressure coming out of the oil fill. It's basically vented through the heads into the air cleaner. You may want to bring it to the attention of the dealer at the next service. There also shouldn't be any oil coming back at you when you remove the cap.

Ok, now Im starting to get oil inside my air filter. A good enough amount. I guess I must have added to much oil. Now what? Do I drain and refill? Any advise would help.

You can use a turkey baster and draw out the excess oil to bring it to the proper level. If the oil in the air filter persists, the oil pump may need an alignment.

Back