free website stats program Possible electrical problem? | Harley Davidson Forums

Possible electrical problem?

rgoot01

Ok, so I have been having issues with what seems like a fuel problem but am curious to whether it could electrical.

What would happen was that the bike on choke at any position would not run well and I would have to ride for 10mins after initial warm up to get rid of a backfire/popping off idle. I've had everything done to the carb just this last weekend(rebuilding for the third time,jetting, new intake gaskets). The bike ran great for only 3 days and now the same problems I had are now back. With the exception of replacing the carb there's nothing left on the fuel side so my question is could this be electrical? Even before going through the carb it would have days where it would run great but always no longer than a couple at best.

The bike has a factory reman 80 with nothing special by way of exhaust, air cleaner, ignition.

Try running with the center cover of the nose cone off a few miles, also check the wires coming out of the cone to the coil for wear and pinching

By nothing special do you mean it's all stock? If not what ignition/exhaust/AC do you have? has the bike ever run right since the reman? I take it that this is a stock CV carb. with no mods right?

By nothing special do you mean it's all stock? If not what ignition/exhaust/AC do you have? has the bike ever run right since the reman? I take it that this is a stock CV carb. with no mods right?

It's all stock. No the bike really hasn't run well since the reman. The needle in the carb is not stock, it has grooves and a clip to adjust needle height. Other than the needle everything else is stock.

Ok so I decided to search how to check the ignition system here on the forum. Down the list I checked new coil which is good, have new plugs, wires so I went to ignition module. I had good power to module as well as good ground. I moved down to the three wire plug for ignition sensor and when I did the red green jump test on ignition side I did not have any spark which indicates a bad module.

Would this cause the problems I have? Should I check anything else or should I just get a new module?

Back