free website stats program Possible bad Ignition switch relay | Harley Davidson Forums

Possible bad Ignition switch relay

Mavagrand

2008 FLHTC with 35k. After church turned the key, lights came on, fuel pump cycled but, when I pressed start, nothing. Turned off the ignition and tried again, this time no lights, no fuel pump, nothing but the neutral light glowing. Press the start and nothing happens. Battery is just slightly over a year old, all connections are tight. I heard a constant clicking from the ignition switch relay so figure I gotta replace that. Would this relay going bad result in no voltage to the starter? I know it provides current to the lights and stuff but what about the starter?

I would start by load testing the battery even though it is only a year old, just to take that out of the equation. After that I would check both ends of the battery cables. Ground problems can act just like what you have described.

thanx Steve, I've check them all but the "other end" of the battery ground. Where would I find that on my 08 FLHTC?

It should be on or near a starter bolt. Sounds like your battery went south or your charging system. Charge your battery good, have it load tested as STEVE07 says. Then see what happens. Watch your Voltage gauge or use a VOM.
tourbox

That Constant Clicking was More than Likely Low Battery OR like Steve said also, a loose or bad ground.

Batteries are a Hit and Miss.

I have had a stock one back on a 97 EVO that lasted 9 years. I sold that bike to a friend and gave him 50$ off because the battery was going on 4 yrs old..... Yep, it lasted another 5 yrs. and NO:23: he would not return the 50$....

It was a new style Gel battery (came stock on my new 97) that HD TRIED Out and it worked so GOOD, they never made one again you could buy that I Knew of...

They're Smart to NOT use that good a Battery...:s Money out of their future Pockets and years to wait to Re-fill the coffers...

signed....BUBBIE

One sure fire way of checking, turn switch to on position, short across the starter solenoid Does it spin the engine over? The connections behind the rubber boot have been known to get loose and corroded here in Florida:s

One sure fire way of checking, turn switch to on position, short across the starter solenoid Does it spin the engine over? The connections behind the rubber boot have been known to get loose and corroded here in Florida:s

Make sure its in neutral when trying this! Otherwise it could quickly turn into a stunt......

I would start by load testing the battery even though it is only a year old, just to take that out of the equation. After that I would check both ends of the battery cables. Ground problems can act just like what you have described.

You win, Steve. Battery failed when load tested. Stay away from "Bikemaster" batteries, mine was made in China and lasted barely a year.

Back