free website stats program Poor starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor starting

jel123

hello i.m new so i hope this works i,m havind trouble starting on cold mornings checked battery,cables charging system and checked for draws still turns over slow untill i put a charger to it them it fires have a 545 new oddessey batt once it starts i,m ok unless it cold out in thirty,s and it sits about 6 hours any ideas,jel

hello i.m new so i hope this works i,m havind trouble starting on cold mornings checked battery,cables charging system and checked for draws still turns over slow untill i put a charger to it them it fires have a 545 new oddessey batt once it starts i,m ok unless it cold out in thirty,s and it sits about 6 hours any ideas,jel

That battery should be plenty for that bike. You said you "checked" the cables, but did you take off the leads (negative first), clean both mating surfaces on each lead with a wire brush, and reinstall (negative last)? Also, did you check that the lead on the starter was tight (might take that off and clean as above)?

Do you have a VOM? Check the voltage across the battery terminals BEFORE you try and start it next time. Should be at or over 12 volts. If not, and it is under 11 1/2 volts, your battery is not getting fully charged by your alternator, or you do in fact have a current draw. See here:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

Cold IS hard on a battery. You might want to consider a tender. See here:

Battery Tender For Storage - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Another potential option could be thickening or too thick of an oil selection for the temp. How cold is a "cold start morning?" Perhaps maybe a 15w40 or 10w40 may help if your cold starting temps are under 40 degrees. This is assuming that the battery is in good shape (which it may not be!!), there's no or very little voltage drop from battery to starter and the starter is not worn out and just lugging.

Anyways, welcome to the forum!! You will find a HUGE wealth of knowledge here, and some VERY knowledgeable people who all want to help each other. Let us know what you find.

If you have a meter (DVOM), connect the leads on to both ends of the cables one cable at a time while they are still attached to the terminals and set the meter on 1K ohms resistance. Crank the bike with these meter leads attached and see if the meter registers anything. It should barely register. If it does register any significant amount, there's resistance in that cable and it should be replaced.

batt is new checked both batt,s when i go to start batt is over 12.6 but it still turs over slow once it runs for 5 min. it will restart

batt is new checked both batt,s when i go to start batt is over 12.6 but it still turs over slow once it runs for 5 min. it will restart

Crank the engine when it turns over slowly until it starts. Shut it off then as soon as it starts and feel for a hot terminal or cable to see if there is resistance in any of the cables/connections. If there is you located the possible source of the problem.

Two things, point the bike so the headlght beam can be seen while starting...it should dim only slightly while the engine is cranking prior to starting...if it goes to less than 1/2 brightness or goes out, you likely have a weak/dead cell or the cable resistance of one of your heavy battery cables and or starter cable is high.

You will feel one of the terminals warm or hot to the touch, but really you should remove all of them and SCRAPE them till they are shiny, coat with dielectric grease and reinstall. If a cable is hot, it is probably one that is bad.

Last edited:
If the cable is good, it shouldn't get hot. It is usually at the ends of the cable where it gets hot indicating a bad conductor within.

Back