free website stats program Poor Fuel Mileage On The Egc | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor Fuel Mileage On The Egc

glide 33

Have been wondering for some time now about the gas mileage on my classic. Using the Vance & Hines slip-ons, and a V&H fuel pak. I got aggraviated one day, & unhooked the fuel-pak. Gas mileage went back up to 48 mpg. Got to worring about doing harm to the engine, and hooked it back up. Rechecked, and am only getting around 38mpg. Called V&H today,about the difference in mpg. He asked me about the bike, and said that was about average on the mpg. I dont think I would recommend a V&H fuel pak. Glider, do you think a different programmer would raise the mpg back up. Hate to go back to the stock exhaust.:(

Only way to get the MPG up safely is a dyno tune.You can tune for performance or power, when you choose the later, the MPG suffers.

I prefer the TFI myself but all the tuners will loose some MPG depending on how you ride.

I just got back from a 350 mile day ride. It was the first time I really got to check my mpg on my 08 classic. I did put on the slash up screamin eagles (made by V&N) the high flow air cleaner and had the dealer reflash the ECU. I was happy to say I got a solid 45 mpg. I have no reason to change my set up and don't know enough about other reprogrammers, but the dealer set up seems to work great for my bike.

Do you need to have a tach to set the TFI? I noticed in the instructions it gives specific rpm like "2,000 rpm".

My very best behavior will get me 43 mpg at 1000 ft above sea level and going no faster than 65. Around town and playing around a bit I get around 33 mpg. This is on a 07 FLHTCU with a V&H ProPipe 2-1 with no tuning done. 48 mpg seems really generous and I wonder how lean it is running to get that. 38 mpg does seem poor but not incredibly so. The 96 inch motors do suck a bit of gas compared to an Evo or even an 88. I saw the local dealer advertising 54 mpg. It seems criminal that they would even suggest that these bike can get near that kind of mileage.

I also lost about 10 mpg's; down around 48 to 50 to 38 to 40 after installing a Fuelpack.
Contacted V&H and they said that's about average for bikeswith Fuelpacks. But I know guys that have lost mpg's with the Power Commander.

Do you need to have a tach to set the TFI? I noticed in the instructions it gives specific rpm like "2,000 rpm".

It can be done without a tach. Just raise the idle to a fast idle and you can set the low setting like that. Estimate about 1800 RPM. Done it many times with good results.

I have the FuelPak and V&H bigshots long. Mileage was 42-48 before on stock set up depending riding conditions. Going into a strong wind would knock me down into the 30's. I get virtually the same now with the V&H setup.

Back