free website stats program Polishing rear wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

Polishing rear wheel

BOWHIKER

This past weekend i wanted to really polish the rear rim on my nt . I first tried the hand method with mothers aluminum polish but soon ran out of patients . I went looking for polishing balls at the auot stores but found them to be too large . I ended up buying a couple from mc master carr . They are called felt polishing bobs , they have different shapes and sizes . I got the soft density for use with , gold silver , and aluminum . They have a 1/4" shank pit one in my drill and went to work . Two hours later what a difference they almost look crome . I was very pleased with the out come . Sure i could have done it by hand but didn't want to take a week to do it .

Good tip - might have to see if I could fit something similar into my SG wheels b/c it's fairly tight - even w/the bags off. Thanks for sharing!

Bowhiker, thank you for the information...and your achieving the "Warming the Wheels" STATUS (actually is an automatic "moniker" having nothing to do with the good job you did, but is based on the number of posts you have made).

I have been thnking of doing the same thing on my Sporty XL1200R stockers...never cared for the "unfinished" look of the cast wheels...look almost "agricultural" (like a tractor). :newsmile061:

This past weekend i wanted to really polish the rear rim on my nt . I first tried the hand method with mothers aluminum polish but soon ran out of patients . I went looking for polishing balls at the auot stores but found them to be too large . I ended up buying a couple from mc master carr . They are called felt polishing bobs , they have different shapes and sizes . I got the soft density for use with , gold silver , and aluminum . They have a 1/4" shank pit one in my drill and went to work . Two hours later what a difference they almost look crome . I was very pleased with the out come . Sure i could have done it by hand but didn't want to take a week to do it .

HEy Bowhiker,
Thanks for the tip, i have been thinking of trying this, after reading about a while back on an earlier post. I am going to pick up a couple of the balls,
what kind of polish did you use, or did you stick with the mothers. My fatboy has the stock cast wheels, and sure would be nice to brighten them up

will this work on a deuce rear wheel? How was it polishing up close to the tire? does the polishing stuff come off the tire easy if you get it on there? and how much for the polishing balls?

Yes they'll work on a deuce . I got 2 of the oval shape 1" dia and 1 cylindrical shape 1 1/4 dia . The ovals were 5.99 ea and the cylindrical was 3.94 . The reason they worked so well is the oval fits in perfect into the part of the rim right next to the bead of the tire . Keep in mind my rim is painted in the center if it wasn't i would have went with maybe one of the ball shaped ones . Yes i did use mothers polish .

One more thing i'd like to add . I started out with my cordless drill but switched to my 110 volt because after an hour the cordless was loosing it's charge . Plus with the 110 volt i can lock it so it stays on without having to hold the trigger .

So basically, with lots of elbow/drill work, polishing ball and other shapes, mothers polish and lots of beer, I will have a shiney rear wheel? that i will have to look into doing.. Can you tell me if getting the polish on the tire will be a problem or will it wash off?

I had no problem getting polish on the tire but i'm sure it would wash right off . I also put some wax on after i was done too .

Back