free website stats program Police Up Ahead | Harley Davidson Forums

Police Up Ahead

Hey Everyone,

I often tap the top of my helmet to let other riders know there are police up ahead of them, I thought this was a universal sign however I get the funniest reactions to the signal. What method do you use to give notice to oncoming riders about police presence?

You are using the correct signal but a lot of folks aren't familiar with it. You could also flash your high/low beams like you would in a car.

Yes your signal is ok and what we also do here in Montreal instead of tapping the helmet we make a circle with our hand above the helmet.

Hey Everyone,

I often tap the top of my helmet to let other riders know there are police up ahead of them, I thought this was a universal sign however I get the funniest reactions to the signal. What method do you use to give notice to oncoming riders about police presence?
Interesting that you should say that. I have not heard of that before but I'll certainly know what it means in the future when I happen to see it.
Just today, on the Fourth of July, I was riding in Rhode Island on Route 6 when a fellow coming from the opposite direction made an up and down motion with his arm (like he was dribbling a basketball I guess you could say) but I knew what he was telling me "Bring your speed down, there's a cop up ahead". Sure enough, up a little ways was a State Trooper with his radar gun pointed in my direction. That is the signal that I use whenever I warn a fellow motorist that there is a cop up ahead when I am on my bike, up and down with an open palm facing down, to suggest they drop their speed. As an aside, I WAS speeding and I think he just may have saved me from getting a ticket on this quota holiday weekend!! ;-)

I just flash my driving lights,seems to me that is a lot more noticable then tapping the helmet.

Back