free website stats program Police MC Training... | Harley Davidson Forums

Police MC Training...

Drew

I am interested in taking a Police training course. Are there any out there for civilians? I am interested in really developing my riding skills. There is one I saw (for police only, however) where they provide a RK w/ abs, so as to not scratch up your own bike... sounds like a good deal to me.

I would be looking for maybe a couple of consecutive weekends, or a 1 week course. The course I saw was 2 straight weeks, but again, that was designed for police personnel. That's a little more of a time commitment than I'd be able to make, in any case.

thanks
Drew

You probably won't get access to a police training school. It's not as if just going to a police riding school is going to give you the experience to ride like they do.

How about a MSF advanced riders course. Take what you learn there and pratice it.

What I have noticed is most people will never ride like a "motor officer" because they are afraid to drop their bike. You make reference to that in your post about "so as to not scratch up your own bike..."

If the MSF courses don't interest you, take one of Keith Code's or Jason Pridmore's riding schools. Sure, they are geared toward sport bike riding, but just about any motorcycle is welcome. They even have schools where they provide the bikes.

Cruiser riders can learn quite a bit from a sport bike school. The concepts of riding are the same. It just done on different equipment.

Drew. Your not tooooo far away in Chicago...
Waukesha Technical College up here in WI offered an Advance Control Skills Motorcycle course, run by 3 county sheriffs and modeled after their training course. This went beyond the MSF advanced riders course (I've taken that one) and was a weekend long. I took it last summer and when they walked out with pipe insulation and duct tape and said "you guys may want to protect your chrome" I knew this was going to be intense. It was! I guarantee you'll be completely drained at the end of each day.

I haven't heard if it's offered again and I don't see it on the website but as I recall it was buried in an area of the site you wouldn't think of looking. It may be worth a call. Waukesha County Technical College

Last edited:
There's quite a difference between sportsbike/track oriented training and police training. Here a major component of the police riding system is based around learning to see things that might be a threat to you and plan your path (and speed and gear) accordingly. The lines you follow on the road tend to be different if you are using a police-style of riding than they would be if you were following racing lines. You might be quicker following racing lines but on a public road you are more likely to have an accident. Having said that I've been amazed at how fast police can ride fully equipped Pan-Euopeans (Honda ST100s) on really difficult roads. Many years ago I did an IAM course where I was trained by a serving police rider and then later trained as an IAM observer (sort of instructor) again with serving officers. After I had a couple of years with nearly no riding (skiing accident) I had a full day course with the retired head of the Durham police motorcycle section (Bob Brown's Bikewise course - can't recommend it too highly - fantastic). If you can't get courses like these in the US then you might at least try reading 'Motorcylce Roadcraft' the UK police training manual.

cheers,

Bob

After watching the Ride Like A Pro video that is on his web site and the You Tube videos of police riding skills competitions, I was convinced that this type of course would be worth while taking. The $150 price tag seemed very reasonable considering what one would gain from taking the course.

Living just north of Boston, I saw the closest Ride Like A Pro course is being offered in Northern New Jersey. Are any of you who live around Boston familiar with any advanced courses being offered that are similar to Ride Like A Pro?

Back