free website stats program Plugs Wires | Harley Davidson Forums

Plugs Wires

Fourdogs

Ok once and for all is a Plug wire a plug wire a plug wire. If it delivered a spark that the max it can x number of volts how can one be better . Is the standard HD plug wire good enough ! ?

Standard is good to go. The others are more costly and a bit fancier but the stock wires are designed to work with the ION sensing and more resistance will mess things up with other wires.

Thank you Sir I knew you would know.

Standard is good to go. The others are more costly and a bit fancier but the stock wires are designed to work with the ION sensing and more resistance will mess things up with other wires.

btw thanks for trying to help with my cruise. Still driving me crazy . Will have to take it in. Works sometimes and then doesn't. I just replaced rear break light switch. thinking it was telling the unit the breaks were on. Never sets a code the red indicates light illuminates on the speedometer and will go green sometimes but now most the time it don't now.Sooo gotta take her in coz at age 65 and having carpal tunnel thing for long rides the cruise is a must .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully you checked the throttle cable lash?

It's one of the biggest problems when it comes to CC and that is the incorrect cable lash like when people replace grips and don't do the cable adjustment and initialization properly.

initialization properly yes Sir i did indeed lubed the cable and adjusted it to when it hits the stops on the throttle body. then i did the Cruise Control Initialization (that's what ya mean by "Cable Lash correct? ) I did go through that procedure and as crazy as this sounds it will do just as the CCI instructions indicate then the next time will not turn green (enable/engage lamp.) so i got something screwy going on some wheres lol

Never sets a code the red indicates light illuminates on the speedometer and will go green sometimes but now most the time it don't now. .

I would have thought you were on the right track with that brake switch.

Well since it does not set a code I would guess the wheel speed monitors are ok and it is not going to be a bad or involved repair.

Never sets a code.. Humm you got to let us know what it turns out to be.

On a production bike, the wires are not much or an issue - buy the wires for your particular bike and you are good to go; you can spend more, or less, and probably never notice any difference. The only exception would be if you have a radio on your bike, you want to make sure you run wires that won' cause interference.

On a custom bike, you need to match your wires to your coil(s). If you are running 3 ohm coil(s), you need to run 3 ohm wires, the same for 6 ohm.

On a custom bike, you need to match your wires to your coil(s). If you are running 3 ohm coil(s), you need to run 3 ohm wires, the same for 6 ohm.

I guess you have to run non-resistor plugs. (?)
By custom do you mean a drag bike or performance bike of some kind?.

I guess you have to run non-resistor plugs. (?)
By custom do you mean a drag bike or performance bike of some kind?.
Performance bikes, yes, but mostly talking about limited-number production bikes, and one-up customs. And yes, you should match your plugs to your wires.

Back