free website stats program plugs following also...any ideas? | Harley Davidson Forums

plugs following also...any ideas?

mikefxst

Banned
Ok i had a problem with the accelerator pump so i replaced the diaphragm about 3 months ago, at that time i replaced the plugs and did an oil change and also cleaned the air filter and other maintenece items etc...
about a month and 1/2 ago i ran into a problem where the front plug was fouled so i put in new autolite plugs figured i had carb probs that the plugs were no good because of it. last night i was changing the oil again and i pulled the plugs noticing that they had a light oil coating on them but reeked of fuel. so i'm replacing the plugs agian just to be safe so i dont get stranded and i have a spare set anyways. i was running autolites now i'm going to be running champions part# RA8HC. which per applications were the corrcect plugs. but now i have been reading that since i have a good amount of motor work i may need to run a cooler plug. i have done the 95 inch kit on my tc88 softail standard along with other mods like gear driven cams,keith black pistons, ported and polished heads and igintion system.
or do i have a carb problem where its dumping to much fuel

Leave the heat range alone.Autolites are junk in Harleys.What carb/jetting/cams are you running

stock harley carb i forget the jetting (i know its jetted higher then stock i believe #44 or poss. #45) but i wasn't having any problems until that damn acclereator pump diaphragm went bad then the plugs seemingly started fouling. i thought maybe i had addiditonal problems other then that diaphragm but the bike runs well it has just started fouling plugs???? this time they were'nt fouled but they looked like it was a matter of time.
i'm running 585's andrews cams. i do run a smaller tooth from sprocket so my bike does run higher rpms then most at higher speeds.
i also left out the bike had been sitting for 3 days and still were wet and reaked of fuel
and when i fouled the first set those were the harley triple platinums at $12-$18 each and they only last a month and 1/2

The only high dollar plugs worth a dam are the Iridiums.No performance gain that I can find but they last forever.Have you installed a jet kit?With the Thundernozzle accel pump nozzle?

Ok i had a problem with the accelerator pump so i replaced the diaphragm about 3 months ago, at that time i replaced the plugs and did an oil change and also cleaned the air filter and other maintenece items etc...
about a month and 1/2 ago i ran into a problem where the front plug was fouled so i put in new autolite plugs figured i had carb probs that the plugs were no good because of it. last night i was changing the oil again and i pulled the plugs noticing that they had a light oil coating on them but reeked of fuel. so i'm replacing the plugs agian just to be safe so i dont get stranded and i have a spare set anyways. i was running autolites now i'm going to be running champions part# RA8HC. which per applications were the corrcect plugs. but now i have been reading that since i have a good amount of motor work i may need to run a cooler plug. i have done the 95 inch kit on my tc88 softail standard along with other mods like gear driven cams,keith black pistons, ported and polished heads and igintion system.
or do i have a carb problem where its dumping to much fuel

I ride an '03 UC, and use the Champion plugs in mine. I change the plugs with each oil change. IMHO, that is cheap maintenance. If you are getting an oily film on the plugs, you need to figure out where the oil is coming from (valve guides, rings, etc.).

I suggest you change the plugs (as I said, I use Champion plugs you mentioned), and then run the bike checking the plugs after the day's ride a couple of times a week once the bike has cooled some (enough that you can grab the plug without injury). See if there is a consistent fuel wet plug (or two). Let us know.

TQ

installed the new plugs tonight and let it run with the enricher out till the bike warmed up then went for a ride around the block; probably not long enough of a ride(15 minutes) but it was enough to travel all speeds from highway speeds of 60 mph to slow as 5 mph and pulled the plugs they were dry as can be
no oil residue or the smell of fuel????????????
maybe just didn't ride long enough

i had previous to this discussion read your article on that Glider and will have to agree entirely
i am a culprit of that from time to time.
Do you think though that that would leave the plugs saturated though the bike had been sitting for 3 days when i had checked them?
i do admit i have been in a rush every time i've headed out on the bike in the past couple of weeks so i rode with the enricher out/on maybe 4-5 times (letting it idle about 2 minutes before taking off)but by the end of my block i kicked it off
i was also figuring that that might not be oil i'm seeing but maybe the cumbustion soot being washed down by fuel it really didn't feel slick like oil would but that can be decieving if it was being mixed with fuel.

how long on average do you let your bike sit with the enricher on before taking off?

....and thanks by the way to fisher and glider for the help
and anyone else with their input

Last edited by a moderator:
i had previous to this discussion read your article on that Glider and will have to agree entirely
i am a culprit of that from time to time.
Do you think though that that would leave the plugs saturated though the bike had been sitting for 3 days when i had checked them?
i do admit i have been in a rush every time i've headed out on the bike in the past couple of weeks so i rode with the enricher out/on maybe 4-5 times (letting it idle about 2 minutes before taking off)but by the end of my block i kicked it off
i was also figuring that that might not be oil i'm seeing but maybe the cumbustion soot being washed down by fuel it really didn't feel slick like oil would but that can be decieving if it was being mixed with fuel.

how long on average do you let your bike sit with the enricher on before taking off?

....and thanks by the way to fisher and glider for the help
and anyone else with their input

Only use the enricher enough to keep the bike running properly. The plugs could remain wet during the idle times if the valves are closed in that cylinder, there's no place for the fuel to evaporate too.

Read this...
Enricher Use Tip For Carbed Bikes - Harley Davidson Community

Back