free website stats program plug wire, ground wire, ???? | Harley Davidson Forums

plug wire, ground wire, ????

Hi Group,
New to the forum here. And my first cry for help. I just bought a 2002 Dyna Defender police bike with 2500 miles. It is completely stock. When i rode it, i noticed it would "cut out" whenever i was just maintaining speed or coming off of the throttle. It wouldnt stall, but it would sound like a "cough". But in the course of a mile lets say, it would do this often, never would do it when i would roll on the throttle and accelarate. I assumed since it had such low miles it may have done alot of sitting...so i have ran 5 tanks of gas through it, gave it sea foam gas treatment, and it still does it. I changed the plugs. The old ones were light tan and seemed fine. AT this point, i know i may need a dealer visit, but im thinking it may not be the carb but something electrical??? I did notice that the short plug wire doesnt feel real tight on the plug, even though you hear a click it still has alot of play. I also noticed that on the plug from that wire, the previous owner had a ton of dialetic grease on it. Could a faulty plug wire that doesnt fit real snug cause this type of problem?? As i said earlier, it runs great when getting on it, its just when at steady cruising speeds, it does that bucking, coughing, like something is not connected tightly. I know, its hard to diagnose, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

It sounds like you have found your trouble. Change the plug wire out. Cheaper then having the dealer do a service.

You can tighten the plug wire by gently squeezing the metal tip where it attaches with pliers a bit. Also be sure that the tip of the plug where the wire attaches is tight, they have been known to loosen up.

Thanks! Before i get new wires i will try that. Do you mean to insert the pliers inside the cap...it seems kind of a tight fit. Or do you mean to squeeze it with the pliers from the outside of the cap? Thank you

The plug tops are a hard rubber so just squeeze it on the outside. Don't go over the top with the pliers though. Better to try twice than to mess up once.

On the outside of the boot like Harry said. Just enough to make it click on to the plug tight.

Well, i was able to squeeze the outside of the cap and the wire was real tight on the plug. I went for a ride, and its still missing on even throttle. I took the seat off and got to the battery and both battery cables were snug. While under the seat i noticed a big cable that had a big receptacle end on it that looks like something should plug in to it...dont know if that is some diagnostic port?? Anyway, i guess i will go pick up some stock HD wires tomorrow. Do you think the wires could still be the culprit even though i squeezed the loose cap on real tight for a snug fit?

Back