free website stats program placing lift under a fat boy | Harley Davidson Forums

placing lift under a fat boy

troxlerld

2005 fatboy lowerd If I center the jack to pick up the whole bike I am over the shocks they hang down just a little below frame the jack will go across the frame will It hurt anything? I used 2x6 to role bike tires up on to get the jack under frame

Best not to lift the bike with the weight on the shocks. Try to shim under the frame with something about 1/2" on both sides to lift by the frame and not the shocks. Preferably something like rubber so it isn't slippery.

Best not to lift the bike with the weight on the shocks. Try to shim under the frame with something about 1/2" on both sides to lift by the frame and not the shocks. Preferably something like rubber so it isn't slippery.

I have a Pit Bull lift. I called the company and asked them to send me two strips of the rubber they use on the top bars. I then cut 3" pieces and applied two thicknesses on the left side with clearance for the shocks and only one thickness on the right side. Works perfect and I applied with Permatex Super Weatherstrip adhesive. It's the strongest out there.

HD has some rubber frame protectors designed for this purpose, I use them on my Heritage. They just push on the frame rails and give you the necessary clearance for the shocks.

Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

Plus 1 for these.I bought some for my Softail;they sell here for about AUD$37 with HOG discount,and i believe about 20 odd dollars in the U.S

They work well,after you trim them to fit each side frame rail.Much much better than using bits of wood as spacers!

HD has some rubber frame protectors designed for this purpose, I use them on my Heritage. They just push on the frame rails and give you the necessary clearance for the shocks.

Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

These frame protectors are all right and I used them until I got tired of having to put them on and take them off each time I lifted the bike. It is much easier to add to the lift as I said and then the whole process is much easier.

Plus 1 for these.I bought some for my Softail;they sell here for about AUD$37 with HOG discount,and i believe about 20 odd dollars in the U.S

They work well,after you trim them to fit each side frame rail.Much much better than using bits of wood as spacers!

The idea isn't to use wood bits for spacers. It's to use the same material that Pit Bull uses and just build it up with space in between for the shocks. Nothing could be easier and you don't need the frame protectors which are a waste of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got pictures?...sounds like your Pit Bull rubber inserts work very well. One thing I have heard from some of those who use the HD adapters is that they are not as secure as some would like.

Got pictures?...sounds like your Pit Bull rubber inserts work very well. One thing I have heard from some of those who use the HD adapters is that they are not as secure as some would like.

Thanks for asking! I don't have any yet but will take one and post it.

Thanks for asking! I don't have any yet but will take one and post it.

This is what it looks like. I doubled up on the left side and put a single layer on the right. The left is 1/4" higher and the right is 1/8". This gives plenty of clearance to the shocks. Just space between so it reaches both frame rails.

Attachments

• DSC00370.jpg
    DSC00370.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
Back