free website stats program Pipes vs. Warranty | Harley Davidson Forums

Pipes vs. Warranty

Zamadan

I will be getting a stage one done next month on my 07 EG. I was told this is just slip ons and tweaking of the EFI, not a problem. I wanted to go with better pipes but three dealers insinuated that it would cause me warranty problems if HD determined the Non-HD pipes were a contributing cause for the problem. Does anyone have knowledge in this area because at Stugis and the other rally's you always see a mountain of stock pipes getting tossed out. Also besides V&H is there other makes that would give a EG the classic HD throaty sound.

Yep, I agree that's why I use the TFI for adding fuel. Leaves no foot print in the ECM and can be put back to stock at anytime leaving no trace of it's existence.

http://www.techlusion.com/

No maps, no dyno tune and they work.

Yep, I agree that's why I use the TFI for adding fuel. Leaves no foot print in the ECM and can be put back to stock at anytime leaving no trace of it's existence.

No maps, no dyno tune and they work.

I'm kinda new around here, and have been reading alot of posts trying to learn before I speak.....
So if I understand the TFI, I would buy say....slip ons or a whole exhaust, install a TFI, and I would not go to the dealer for a remap or dyno run, and everthing would be fine?

For any reason, I can unplug and swap back the pipes to a factory set up?

(Don't mean to hijack the thread, just thought it was pertanent to the question)

I will be getting a stage one done next month on my 07 EG. I was told this is just slip ons and tweaking of the EFI, not a problem. I wanted to go with better pipes but three dealers insinuated that it would cause me warranty problems if HD determined the Non-HD pipes were a contributing cause for the problem. Does anyone have knowledge in this area because at Stugis and the other rally's you always see a mountain of stock pipes getting tossed out. Also besides V&H is there other makes that would give a EG the classic HD throaty sound.

If an HD dealer is doing the work, they're gonna have a hard time not honoring their warranty. If they declined your warranty AND you pushed hard enough to press legal action, they'd have to go through the expensive process of PROVING that the issue with your bike was caused DIRECTLY by or as a DIRECT RESULT OF your non-HD pipes. Being that the slip-ons are the only thing NOT HD according to your post, I think you will be ok. The dealer and/or MOCO would likely find it cheaper to just repair whatever is wrong with your ride if something ever went wrong.

Now the STAGE 1 should include: A new air-cleaner, some freer flowing slip-ons or pipes, and an ECM download. The ECM download is what they program into your motorcycles computer/efi that indetifies the adjustments made to the airflow with the a/c & pipe adjustments.

I like V&H, but there are a TON of other GREAT brands out there. Just a suggestion: visit local HD dealers and motorcycle gathering spots. Listen to the pipes bikes like yours (same MODEL/YEAR). Hear one you like, strike up a conversation with the rider and find out what he/she is running on their exhaust. That is the best method because listening to them online is not a TRUE sound and what I consider the "true" Harley sound may be different from your definition. Following my method is the most fool-proof way imo.

GOOD LUCK

I'm kinda new around here, and have been reading alot of posts trying to learn before I speak.....
So if I understand the TFI, I would buy say....slip ons or a whole exhaust, install a TFI, and I would not go to the dealer for a remap or dyno run, and everthing would be fine?

For any reason, I can unplug and swap back the pipes to a factory set up?

(Don't mean to hijack the thread, just thought it was pertinent to the question)

You have the proper understanding of the TFI, no dealer involved. It works well and is user friendly, no dyno runs and you can swap back to stock parts should a warranty issue arise.

Here's more info and an installation video of the TFI.

TFI Installation On 05 Bike (Video) - Harley Davidson Community

Dang, Thousands of possibilities flooding in now, Trying to download the flash. Worked with a wrench before on the old 69 and decker. Would a TFI install on these models require a bit of work, torquing and thread lock, or is it a good DIY project. With the pipes and if I upgrade to a KN basically would this would be my stage one?

Update, watched the video, seems simple enough, didn't say anything about the injector connector leads you unplug. Leave them hanging?

Last edited:
Dang, Thousands of possibilities flooding in now, Trying to download the flash. Worked with a wrench before on the old 69 and decker. Would a TFI install on these models require a bit of work, torquing and thread lock, or is it a good DIY project. Also if I upgrade to a KN basically this would be my stage one?

Think you would have problems trying to install the TFI on a 69.

It's used only on FI bikes.:D

Upgrading JUST to the K&N which is the same dimensions as the stock filter really isn't increasing flow that much and wouldn't give you the benefit of a stage 1.

Meant I used to wrench on the old bikes so I'm not to scared working on my 07 EG but do not have a lot of experience with the electronics side. So I would go with a larger intake for air. Do the other clips still hang?

Thanks Glider

Vid said to disconnect wire and clips off injectors and plug-in the TFI wire and clips. So do I have the orignal clips that were connected to the injectors removed or tied back. Didn't show that in the vid.

Back