free website stats program Pipes only?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Pipes only??

LIRider

Account Removed
I just picked up an 04 Road Glide, TC88, 3,000 miles on it, with ThunderHeaders 2 into 1. The P.O. never upgraded the air filter or added a Power Commander. I intend to do both but wonder if I am okay if I do not do it right away and just ride with the pipes. My philosophy has always been that you can only exhaust what you put in, so if the intake is not opened, the pipes may flow a little more but not enough to cause the engine to run too lean. BTW, the pipes have only been on the bike for about 2,000 miles.

Any opinions? Waiting is okay or upgrade ASAP?

I have the same setup: new pipes, nothing else.. yet.

Bike runs fine, little lean for my liking, but that has been discussed to death :)
little popping on decel, but I think thats not from the pipes so much.

So waiting is ok imo..

I just picked up an 04 Road Glide, TC88, 3,000 miles on it, with ThunderHeaders 2 into 1. The P.O. never upgraded the air filter or added a Power Commander. I intend to do both but wonder if I am okay if I do not do it right away and just ride with the pipes. My philosophy has always been that you can only exhaust what you put in, so if the intake is not opened, the pipes may flow a little more but not enough to cause the engine to run too lean. BTW, the pipes have only been on the bike for about 2,000 miles.

Any opinions? Waiting is okay or upgrade ASAP?

I think you should be OK as the previous poster said. With stock ECU setup, you start lean, and freeing up the exhaust may exacerbate that some with the result being additional decel popping and running hotter. When it is time to upgrade the breather side and add fuel, check out your options a bit further. PC may not be the simplest thing to do especially if you are mostly a street rider. See here:

EFI Tuner Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Thanks all for your replies. In fact, I am not primarily a street rider. I would say I split between street and highways pretty much, with the occasional few hundred mile long distance rides. One reason I wanted the RG is to be able to do a little more long distance riding in comfort.
Anyway, I would do the upgrade fairly soon, maybe in a month or two.

I would say I split between street and highways pretty much, with the occasional few hundred mile long distance rides.

"Street" as used above is in contrast to track or strip (i.e., racing or other high performance riding).

TQ

"Street" as used above is in contrast to track or strip (i.e., racing or other high performance riding).

TQ

Duh, I should have known what you meant.

your ok not best setup in the world but ok
As for the plug thing not much use nowdays with the fuel we have and the additives plugs will not tell you much.
maybe if you burning oil or running way to rich

Yep, agree about the plugs nowadays.
Used to be a good check, but not with modern gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back