free website stats program Pinging! | Harley Davidson Forums

Pinging!

Lang

hey everyone, i took a nice ride yesterday and after the bike got good and warmed up i think im getting some pinging... so im in 4th or 5th gear doing about 60 and when i would gun it full throttle i think id hear a little ping. its so noisy with the wind and all so im not sure. i know what it sounds like but couldnt really tell. one question is how much pinging does it take to start damaging the motor? i mean i did over and over to try to get it to do it so i could see if that was what i was hearing. if it is its only pinging for a second or so. i pulled the plugs and the look good, no black or shiny specks on the porcelain. i didnt do it all the way home but doing it over was the only way i could see if thats what it was. im going to turn back the slope on the ignition a notch, and maybe a bit less timing as well.

I would try running a higher Octane number gas and see if it goes away. The more octane makes the gas ignite slower and prevent pre-ignition which can be caused by carbon build up in the cylinder OR just high compression of the mix.

If it is in fact pre-ignition going on, over a long long time it can burn a hole in the top of your pistons.

You did not say if you are running factory stock ignition or aftermarket. If aftermarket which one are you using. If factory stock, does it have a VOES switch.

It may be time to clean out the carbon buildup. If you are getting hot spots they can cause pinging, and it would be more prevalent during high engine loads, such as at full throttle in high gear. Before that, I would probably get some octane booster to see if it goes away. If you can get some of that stuff that pushes it up to 108 octane, and it is still making that sound then it probably isn't pinging.

hey everyone, i took a nice ride yesterday and after the bike got good and warmed up i think im getting some pinging... so im in 4th or 5th gear doing about 60 and when i would gun it full throttle i think id hear a little ping. its so noisy with the wind and all so im not sure. i know what it sounds like but couldnt really tell. one question is how much pinging does it take to start damaging the motor? i mean i did over and over to try to get it to do it so i could see if that was what i was hearing. if it is its only pinging for a second or so. i pulled the plugs and the look good, no black or shiny specks on the porcelain. i didnt do it all the way home but doing it over was the only way i could see if thats what it was. im going to turn back the slope on the ignition a notch, and maybe a bit less timing as well.

IF any doubt a little less timing will be safer than too much advance.. Make sure you use the Highest Octane gas you can get.. Also on my sport way Back ago 95, would start to make the spark noise and then the timing (voes) in the manifold would retard the timing advance.. It does make a little sound like it is spark nock (like gravel) but JUST for a second or two,,, Then all is good.. Even in the manual it says to NOT worry about this noise as it is Normal...... IF this is what you are hearing...

Try shifting down to the lower Gear before you Hit it hard, The more it is Lugged down the more chance for spark knock.. The little you were trying to make it ping, wouldn't ruin anything.. BUT continued Lugging and Knocking WILL...

signed....BUBBIE

thanks again everyone, i am running the daytona twin tec 1005 model. its now on the lowest setting advance slope (0) and is on the race advance curve (4), i can program a custom setting with mine but cant find anyone who has custom maps and i really dont know how to do it myself. also i always use the highest octane gas. 93 is the highest i can find. i am going to try a little less timing and some octane boost. i see that harley now sells it, maybe i'll give that a shot. thanks, ride safe!

Lang

thanks again everyone, i am running the daytona twin tec 1005 model. its now on the lowest setting advance slope (0) and is on the race advance curve (4), i can program a custom setting with mine but cant find anyone who has custom maps and i really dont know how to do it myself. also i always use the highest octane gas. 93 is the highest i can find. i am going to try a little less timing and some octane boost. i see that harley now sells it, maybe i'll give that a shot. thanks, ride safe!

Lang

I used to put in 8 oz of kerosene per 4 gal tank of high test.. No Nock and it lubed the upper end.. Not good if you run 02 sensors though..
I had HIGH compression sport and If I could afford it ,I'd put in a 101 road gas but then came the Higher prices and Kerosene is much cheaper.... Then on my High comp. fxds build, out of town or state when I could Only get 91 octane id'd use a 40x1 mix of diesel and that solved the problem also.

signed....BUBBIE

Lang

Genuine Fuel Additive - Sycamore Harley-Davidson Store | Parts Collectables this works good to stop pinging

If this is the first time this has happened I think I would try running a few oz. of Marvel Mystery oil in a tank of gas and see it the problem goes away.

I've never heard of Bubbies kerosine trick before,does it boost the octane rating of the fuel?I read that acetone was used as an additive at one stage as it atomises the fuel better and increases power,Mercedes used it way back in their race cars ,it was a very small amount that was added ,I have the mixture written down somewhere as a lot of people over here were using it in classic bikes,I used it a couple of times in my old Matchless but could'nt really feel any difference, there is always something out there that is worth trying though and I just find it an intersrting subject,see ya,Lowie.

Back