free website stats program Pillion Seat Caused Ring Marks On Paint | Harley Davidson Forums

Pillion Seat Caused Ring Marks On Paint

tgs989

Hello every one-I have a problem that I need to try to fix on my fender. I have a custom 9" wide strut less fender on my fatboy and I just removed a Pillion seat that I put on last summer. I now have six round ring marks from the suction cups , I am bummed out that the Pillion seat suction cups caused this. I started reading several articles after doing a web search on this issue. No body tells you how to remove the marks or say if they can be removed. My fender is powder coated flat black. Would you have any tips on how to remove these marks? Are they removable? I wonder if Black colored wax might work? -Tim in MI

First of all, what have you tried so far?

Second, did you do the powder coating or someone else? If you outsourced that job, I'd contact them and ask.

Dr. Dolittle-Hello & Thanks for the reply. So far I rubbed wax on & off area which just made the Ring Marks easier to see. I just order off of eBay today (2) Scotch Bright Dobie Sponges and some s100 Total Cycle Cleaner. I was told to spray, rub & whip off area maybe 3 or 4 times to remove the suction cup ring marks. I should receive the items from eBay in about a week. The Powder Coating was done locally and I just talked to them and they suggested trying some 3,000 grit wet sandpaper or to take it to a Body Shop were they can try to buff it out. I had no idea that the Suction Cups on a Pillion seat would do this to paint. I don't plan on putting the Pillion seat back on my bike and if someone wants a ride they can sit on their hands-(LOL)-Thanks Doc!-Tim in MI

Sounds like between the ebay items you ordered and the sandpaper suggestion, you should be able to get those rings off the fender. Please post back and let us know what finally did the job.

I will do that Dr. Dolittle in about a week & I going to take before & after photos-Thanks for every ones help-Tim in MI.

tgs 3M makes a product called scratch remover , part # 39071 . it is a kit that starts off with a rubbing compound and a 4" purple waffle pad then you follow that with the scratch compound and the 4" finishing waffle pad . it is used with a cordless drill ( not included ) the rest is in the kit. i have a nightrain that i removed the stock seat and the clear tape off the fender. then put on a mustang solo,found out feeling like a telephone pole wasn't for me. put on a fat boy seat till i found another seat. removed the fat boy seat and it did what you are talking about. ran across the 3M kit at big lots for $4 .took about 20 - 30 min to fix the problem. go on line to 3M

PA 58-Thank You Very Much for your advice. I will buy & try the 3M product and will get back with a update in about two weeks-Thanks again-Tim in MI

Back