free website stats program Pics of Sportsters with saddlebags | Harley Davidson Forums

Pics of Sportsters with saddlebags

Why is it so had to find pics of bikes with bags to include how they are mounted....

Here are a couple pics of my Nighster...

They are throw-overs that I mounted to aluminum plates mounted to the docking kit with longer bolts. The main plates attach to both docking kit bolts and extend from the rear docking bolts to just past the shock mounts. Each plate has 2 bolts, 1 in front of the shocks and 1 between the docking bolts. Basically the distance between the front and rear bolts depend on the bag dimension. Then a stack of washers ~1" to get the proper spacing for the bags to hang vertically and in line with the bike. The bags have an aluminum plate both inside and outside to sandwich the leather. I did not choose to mount the main plate with the shock bolts, as I was still working on a detachable setup. The bags rest against the shocks. It works well with the right sized bags. I have no real info on the bags themselves, I found these by trial and error at my local Renegade Classic.

Attachments

• leftbag.jpg
    leftbag.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 64
  • rightbag.jpg
    rightbag.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 60
  • sidesolo1.jpg
    sidesolo1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 89
  • frontsolo.jpg
    frontsolo.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 54
I don't have 5 posts yet so I can't post links or pictures, but you can see shots of my '09 XL1200C with HD Express Rider bags and HD mounts in my album.

Paul

Cromwell, there are so many ways to mount bags, most need to have a metal frame to keep them out of the wheel or belt area. As Steve says, go to the Sportster section and you will see the gamut...from simple "throwover bag"...all the way to MzBlings' bejeweled Sportster hard bag touring setup, which Glider posted previously.

Here is a bike showing those bag support hoops...from pic of JohnCooking's ride...

722d1209859995-post_a_pic_of_your_sporty_here-copy_of_100_0864.jpg

The simplist are the "throwover bags" which simply have a middle yoke that drapes over the rear fender, the shock tower mount and rear turnsignal keep in centered and are secured by the seat. There are loops for lanyards on the back of each tie them to those thin wire (1/4 metal hoop supports) to prevent flapping or fouling wheel/belt area. Shown are the DragSpecialties Throwover Bags (I recently changed to Leatherneck Jim's bags that match the Mustang tank bib) I have on the bike below.

HarleyKat.jpg

Next type is the metal plate that the bags secure to, but have keyhole or button/key catches that stay with the bags so only tiny chrome knobs show when bags are removed like the ones Smok'inToad posted earlier. The bags may be leather, with polystyrene reinforced molded back and fit very flush, and virtually all the USA made ones like Leatherworks, Leatherneck Jims, Boss Bags and others use this integral metal plates mounted bag system that key releases in a jiffy.

Finally there are the honest to gosh bagger type, with guards, lights and virtually a touring bike setup. The world is your oyster, based on what you want for your application, if you ride two-up for long distances, or just short commuting.

Last edited:
Do one need those support hoops before you can install saddlebags? Do I need them if i buy just those throwover bags?

Back