free website stats program petcock leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

petcock leaking

tjeffrockinr

I have 2000 flstc that is leaking fuel from the stock vacuum petcock. It only seems to do it when I first start it or turn it off. I took it apart and inspected it but found no obvious problems. And it doesn't seem to do it all the time. Also there is a small hole machined in the final cover, does it go up or down when installed? I think it may be an air hole but I am not sure.

Thank in advance.

I have 2000 flstc that is leaking fuel from the stock vacuum petcock. It only seems to do it when I first start it or turn it off. I took it apart and inspected it but found no obvious problems. And it doesn't seem to do it all the time. Also there is a small hole machined in the final cover, does it go up or down when installed? I think it may be an air hole but I am not sure.

Thank in advance.

Personally, I do not like the vacuum operated petcocks. I would replace it with a Pingel manual petcock (see here Power-Flo™ Fuel Valves). Cut off and plug the vacuum line near the nipple on the manifold. I would suggest replacing the vacuum line with some new hose.

JMHO.

TQ

Personally, I do not like the vacuum operated petcocks. I would replace it with a Pingel manual petcock (see here Power-Flo™ Fuel Valves). Cut off and plug the vacuum line near the nipple on the manifold. I would suggest replacing the vacuum line with some new hose.

JMHO.

TQ

This is good advice! ^^^

I was working on my Bud's 96 FXSTC and it started leaking and was getting worse every time I used it. Harley doesn't make a rebuild kit for it and if it was my bike I would have went with Pingle because you can buy parts and rebuild them. I put a Drag Specialties on his (his money). The hole goes down I believe.

T Q has you covered here, The MOCO petcock was poor @ nest IMO

Pingel valves are a very good choice, but personally I like vacuum operated valve shutoff, manual off, prime and reserve position. EFI has made the multi-position prime, "obsolete" but I am old fashioned. I also like the auto safety shutoff if vacuum is off...it allows you to walk away knowing fuel is pinched off.

Last edited:
Back