free website stats program Performance enhancers | Harley Davidson Forums

Performance enhancers

KING01

I have a 2001 roadking. I have installed vance and hines big shot true duals. I am planning on getting an arlen ness big sucker air breather kit and dynotec power commander. Does it need to be dyno'ed, or is it pretty much programmed when you receive it as advertised. Is this a good combination or anything else needed? Also is it good on the engine if i ride it before i install the air breather kit and power commander, just having the exhaust replaced and nothing else as of yet? Thanks in advance.

If you just replace the pipes and run baffels in them you probably will be ok. I would run it for about a half hour and then let it cool down and check the plugs make sure they aren't getting hot from being too lean. They should be white and a little tan is good. If they look blistered don't run it until it gets tuned. There is a post somewhere on reading the spark plugs and will show you pics of plugs and what they look like after being run in different conditions. The service manual has a section on this also. Even with a flash these bikes tend to run on the lean side. Emissions is the reason. If it were my bike I would install the power comander and have it put on a dyno. A good tech on the dyno will get the most HP & Torque out of your setup and not have your mpg suffer any more than it has to. You will like the difference just a breather and pipes and a little more fuel will do for your scoot.

pipe and air cleaner and basic cams you could use a canned map unless you have to have that last 1/10th of a horsepower

+1 for what bud white said, IIRC, the PC website allows you select the mods you have, and it will provide the correct map for your bike. You can fine tune it if necessary, all you need is a laptop. At least that's the way it was back in 2000, but I have a custom map when I had BB done at time of purchase (jugs bored, SE pistons, cam & slip ons), after break in, dealer put it on the dnyo and fine tuned it a bit, haven't made another adjustment to it yet.

You can order a pc-v with an arlen ness big sucker mapped to your specs from fuelmoto.com for around 420 bucks, they have a guy named jamie long who does outstanding work, I just got mine from them and it sure changed the performance of my bike.

I have a 98 ultra Screaming eagle intake, stage 1 upgrade,ev27 andrews cam,screaming eagle push rods,thunder headers,Techlusion D.F.O.....I was told at my local dealership the stock map would be enough,but my bike felt flat between 70-80 M.P.H. so I dropped it off today to have it Dyno'd monday I will stop back and let you know my results later...

Back