free website stats program Passing lights | Harley Davidson Forums

Passing lights

Krieghoff

I have a 2010 FLHTP, i've installed new LED lights in the place of the red & blue lights.
and have not been able to get them to come on, I'm sure I need to change some wiring but haven't been able to figure it out yet.
Please Help.

Is the power passing through a toggle switch. If so make sure you have power to switch and then passing through toggle switch to connector in housing passing lamp when the toggle switch is turned on.

The power for the headlight and running lights run through the auxiliary switch and I have no power to the Passing lights.

I've no experience with the way police bike lights are wired, but on civilian bikes the passing lights power off when the headlight high beam is on. Could your hi-beam be on?

Just to make sure I am understanding you you correctly when you turn the aux switch off you have no tail lights headlight or running lights and when you turn the aux on you have tail lights headlight but no running lights.and your running lights were working before you changed them with aux on

Were the running lites operating only operating when you had low beams on and they would turn off if you switched to high beam before you changed them out?

when the auxiliary light switch is off no lights at all,
when on all lights work, I have never been able to get the old red & blue lights to work at all.

when the auxiliary light switch is off no lights at all,
when on all lights work, I have never been able to get the old red & blue lights to work at all.
Very hard to tell with police bikes as previous owners could have butchered wiring. My suggestion is to first test all fused with a multi meter to make sure non are bad. If they are all good remove running lights and at running light connector check for power to connector, there should be two wires one for power and one for ground and see if you have power to positive wire. If you don not have power. In my opinion the easy fix is to tap into the headlight low low beam wiring in headlight bucket check wires to connector to determine low beam power with a meter. Spice in the two power wires for running lights. By doing this your running lights will work with headlight on low beam and turn off when you switch to high beam. To me this is the most intrusive way to get power to the running lights, or you can pull a separate power wire, just make sure it is a keyed wire meaning with the ignition off there is no power to wire. Also check the ground wire for running lights to make sure you have a good ground. On most earlier bikes the ground wire is terminated to the running light bucket.

I would think that the red/blue lights would be powered from a switch and relay that was disabled and or removed prior to being released for sale so they couldn't be activated by a privately owned rider.

Back