free website stats program Passing Lamp & Fog Lights vs High Beams (Illegal ?) | Harley Davidson Forums

Passing Lamp & Fog Lights vs High Beams (Illegal ?)

While my bike is in the shop, I have asked to dealer to rewire my passing lamps and fog lights to stay on while my high beams are on, the dealer said they can not complete this task because it is illegal and against the law and/or DOT standards.

Is this true or false?

MilitaryMike

While my bike is in the shop, I have asked to dealer to rewire my passing lamps and fog lights to stay on while my high beams are on, the dealer said they can not complete this task because it is illegal and against the law and/or DOT standards.

Is this true or false?

MilitaryMike

You might want to think about doing this if you are gonna do any interstate traveling. Some States do not allow multiple "headlights" (more than two), and even running with the passing lamps/fog lights and low beams may be a violation. If you do modify your wiring, make sure you can still turn your lights off to just your main headlight (with low and high beams).

TQ

Last edited:

Is this true or false?

MilitaryMike

With my International (Australian) model FLSTN,the passing lamps ONLY come on with high beam!This is contrary to the owners manual,but there you go.
Maybe you could get hold of the wiring diagram in the workshop manual and see where that leads you.The passing lamps are of course only activated by a toggle switch,but will not illuminate until the high beam switch is turned on.

I agree, both my passing lamps and fog lights do operate via switches, but they both go off once I turn-on my high beams.

Mike

Smitty901,

Question for you Command Sgt Major, did you afix my DOD Military decal to your forks as prescribe by the Badge and Id folks at the main gate?

Military Mike

Smitty901,

Question for you Command Sgt Major, did you afix my DOD Military decal to your forks as prescribe by the Badge and Id folks at the main gate?

Military Mike

I don't know about him but I refuse to put the sticker on my forks ever again. Especially being retired, I have a plate to affix them to.:bigsmiley23:

Back