free website stats program Panic attack!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Panic attack!!

Irish Hog

Well I mentioned briefly in another thread that I may have a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder. So today I had a MRI scheduled, I really was not feeling all that well, but no big deal, I have done it many times for my knee and foot and have even had a cat scan. So I went in with no care in the world, got prepped and ready to go in the tube, but considering I am about 6' 3" and 280 with broad shoulders, they had a hard time stuffing me in the thing, it was a older type enclosed MRI machine and it was very small. So finally they just crammed me in the thing and away we went, I mean my nose was literally just about touching the top on the barrel. So with that, I think that I made it about 6 minutes before I finally started to flip out. I started to press the panic button and in they came running and ejected me. I don't know what happened, but my mind went nuts and my heart started to race and I just had to run out of there, I felt like such a wuss, but I had no control, I literally lost my mind.

So tonight I did some research and found out that there are now standing MRI's, I am going to try and find a place with one of these machines, because my arm is killing me and I have too get this test done. I was just sitting here laughing about my experience today and thought I would share..So with that, I am curious has anyone else ever have a problem doing a enclosed MRI??

A few years ago I spent a fair amount of time in MRI machines,after the first time they just sedated me.

Hey Irish, I know exactly how you feel. I've been in both the open and closed machines, and fit like you do. Drugs can help tremendously.

I've been having some eye problems, and have several panic attacks in the doctor's office. I think he's going to just start conducting my exams with me laying flat on his floor. :bigsmiley25:

work with a guy had this problem and the pill didnt work for him the standing one didnt work for him either

work with a guy had this problem and the pill didnt work for him the standing one didnt work for him either
I don't want to hear that. I have to go back in on Mon for a open MRI. They have a standing, but they said that for a shoulder you have to go in a open MRI??. I think this was just a fluke, I have a feeling I will be just fine this time, at least there will be room move around and some air to breath. I even believe you can lay on your side, that would be a big plus, if that is the case, I can bring a few magazines in to occupy the mind.

we have the open and closed MRI in the UK and i have done both, the enclosed one they had to pull me out not because of a panic attack although i know what you mean but because i fell asleep :D

LOL - must be something about the east side of the pond!! Same thing happened to me having an MRI on the shoulder, just konked out. Had been working v. hard, late nights etc. at the time so any excuse for some shut eye was welcome.

Good luck with the next test Irish - hopefully it'll be fine next time and will get you on the way to recovery.

Last edited:
Hey CedarBrook, just to reassure you and Hobbit, it not something that happens only 'cross the pond; I fell asleep also, when the staffer tapped my foot and asked me to inhale when they asked everything was fine!

My reason is pretty simple, I have been in the examination room so much over the years with EKG's, X-rays, Catherizations (neck and groin), Ultrasound, OCT Laser...etc. the MRI was one of those where the buildup and time is like being in a waiting room, you have plenty of time to get "anxious", one gets used to it over time.

Irish, don't feel bad - you probably have not been in and out of a hospital very often, my gal (also Irish) has the same issues with confined spaces and claustraphobia. Take the advice of your doctor, a mild sedative and maybe the more open style machine may be better for your shoulder exam anyway.

Hey CedarBrook, just to reassure you and Hobbit, it not something that happens only 'cross the pond; I fell asleep also, when the staffer tapped my foot and asked me to inhale when they asked everything was fine!

My reason is pretty simple, I have been in the examination room so much over the years with EKG's, X-rays, Catherizations (neck and groin), Ultrasound, OCT Laser...etc. the MRI was one of those where the buildup and time is like being in a waiting room, you have plenty of time to get "anxious", one gets used to it over time.

Irish, don't feel bad - you probably have not been in and out of a hospital very often, my gal (also Irish) has the same issues with confined spaces and claustraphobia. Take the advice of your doctor, a mild sedative and maybe the more open style machine may be better for your shoulder exam anyway.

Hey there - glad it doesn't wreck your head and that you're relaxed about the whole thing but sorry you've needed so many investigations over the years - bike-related or not!

I work in a hospital but the only time I want to be there is when I'm seeing patients and not being one! I hope you're in good health now :D

DITTO on the mild sedative Irish although with the open scanner you may not need anything. Have a look at this:

MRI scans: Do they still trigger claustrophobia? — JSCMS

If you do take a sedative - make sure you've got someone to get you home - I don't wish to insult your intelligence but that's really important :D. Definitely leave the scoot at home - you can tell her all about it when you get back :D. Good luck and a speedy recovery.

I don't want to hear that. I have to go back in on Mon for a open MRI. They have a standing, but they said that for a shoulder you have to go in a open MRI??. I think this was just a fluke, I have a feeling I will be just fine this time, at least there will be room move around and some air to breath. I even believe you can lay on your side, that would be a big plus, if that is the case, I can bring a few magazines in to occupy the mind.

Guess im lucky they dont bother me i usually fall asleep and they have to wake me because im snoring to much and moving .. just dont get worked up about it the more you think on it and dread it the more chances you will have problems

LOL - must be something about the east side of the pond!! Same thing happened to me having an MRI on the shoulder, just konked out. Had been working v. hard, late nights etc. at the time so any excuse for some shut eye was welcome.

Good luck with the next test Irish - hopefully it'll be fine next time and will get you on the way to recovery.
You know the first thing on my mind was too go to sleep and when I got in there I closed my eyes and I was getting sleepy, but then I got really hot and restless. The guy running the thing did admit that it was too small for me and he had a hard time getting me in the thing.

I am going tonight, no meds, as long as I have room to breath, I will be fine. Half my problem is getting hot, I like my room as cool as possible when I sleep. I use a ceiling fan all winter and a/c all summer, I just cannot sleep when the air is warm. We had recently bought one of those new style foam memory beds and we had to return it because it was so hot. So as long as that MRI room is nice and cool, I should be fine. I have too get this done, my arm is killing me.

I need these. Virtual goggles..

Virtual Reality MRI Goggles Help Relieve Anxiety - WCBS New York - Truveo Video Search

Last edited by a moderator:
Back