free website stats program Painting Fatboy wheels | Harley Davidson Forums

Painting Fatboy wheels

SE6A

Hi all, My 1999 softail standard is fitted with Fatboy wheels back and front, I have seen photos where the centre area of the wheels have been painted black, i am looking to do this and wondered if anyone had done this, any particular paint, guessing a matte black, with any undercoat etc, any special preparation?
I would be leaving the outer edge in polished alloy as it is.....any pointers or tips would be great.

I would go with Powder coating if it were me
WAP.gif

I've never painted MC wheels but I would think powder coating would be more durable then any other method. JMHO.

I know that powder coat will be the answer as it is a lot more durable than just about anything on the market. It is pricey but will stand up well. I have had great success with BBQ grill paint and you can get it in flat black or semi gloss. I have also used Rustoleam and you can get it mixed to have a high gloss finish if you want. Probably won't stand up as long as Powder Coat but is a lot cheaper. Be sure to prep the surface well. If you have a metal finisher in your area that does anodizing you can get that in many colors and it will stand up to almost anything you throw at it.

I know that powder coat will be the answer as it is a lot more durable than just about anything on the market. It is pricey but will stand up well. I have had great success with BBQ grill paint and you can get it in flat black or semi gloss. I have also used Rustoleam and you can get it mixed to have a high gloss finish if you want. Probably won't stand up as long as Powder Coat but is a lot cheaper. Be sure to prep the surface well. If you have a metal finisher in your area that does anodizing you can get that in many colors and it will stand up to almost anything you throw at it.

Thanks for your suggestions.....now to decide!

I saw a Fatboy with the wheels painted by it's owner using Plastidip spray. I know people paint their car rims with this too

Back