free website stats program owners manual vs. service manual? | Harley Davidson Forums

owners manual vs. service manual?

sprinklerfitter669

Can anybody tell me which is better? or do i need both?
the bike i bought did not come with them, and i was wondering if i should buy both??

I agree with both comments above. The Owner's Manual has info on how to operate the bike and some of the features the bike has like the security system etc. The factory service manual has info on how to maintain and fix the bike not found in the Owner's Manual. Everyone should have and read the Owner's Manual for their bike. Anyone that wants to work on their own bike should have a factory service manual covering their bike's year and model.

There ya go!

TQ

Even if you don't plan on doing much of your own wrenching, having a service manual may save you money. If you read through a section before taking your bike to someone, you will know if they are charging you for work not needed. Plus, the service manual is a good read on it's own.

I was fortunate enough to get the owners manual with the bike when I bought it. I also have the factory service manual and a Clymer's manual. I also picked up the parts manual. It gives a nice clear brakedown of all the parts so you can see how things go togeather. It also gives the parts numbers so I can order over the internet for a discount or make my trip to the local dealer go faster.

Remember and get the parts manual then if you need any parts youll have the correct part number it also supliments the service manual by have a breakdown diagram of each component

Brian

Owners manual should be kept with the bike for the rider' convenience. Service, Parts, Electrical/Diagnostics manual(s) are also desirable in that order (based on "my" needs, and troubleshooting skill set growth "curve"). But as Biscuit says...it is only money:newsmile093: But probably the best deal for the money it saves the first time you crack it open...unlike a beer which is a temporary reward for a job well done...still working on whether it tastes great or is less filling, requiring a 2nd to make sure...! *hic* :laugh

Back