free website stats program Overheating Problem 96ci | Harley Davidson Forums

Overheating Problem 96ci

EVERETTLANDRY

I own a 2008 Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition that I am having heating problems with in stopped traffic. I understand that the 96ci has a feature that whenever the engine reaches a certain at idle, the feature shuts the spark to the rear cylinder thus allowing the engine to cool down while at idle. How can I tell whether this feature is operating properly or is disabled? How do you turn feature on/off?

I own a 2008 Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition that I am having heating problems with in stopped traffic. I understand that the 96ci has a feature that whenever the engine reaches a certain at idle, the feature shuts the spark to the rear cylinder thus allowing the engine to cool down while at idle. How can I tell whether this feature is operating properly or is disabled? How do you turn feature on/off?

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-2728.html Read here, Welcome to The Forum

Good luck getting it to do anything other than thumping like a one-lung Honda. I have never had any luck with that system cooling the motor down. Maybe it just keeps it from getting increasingly hotter. I had an 07 Ultra and it was MISERABLE when stopped in traffic. I even considered sewing pot holders inside a pair of jeans to keep the heat from roasting my legs. It was downright PAINFULLY hot. I switched over to fully synthetic (Amsoil) oil in all 3 holes and along with the premium oil cooler I had installed and the air deflectors, it was a little better. The only way you are going to make it at all bearable is to ditch that exhaust system. The "Y" pipe that comes off the back jug and goes behind the motor to the left muffler as well as dropping to the "y" at the pipe coming from the front jug is where the MAJORITY of the heat comes from. In 09 they redesigned the frame and re-routed the exhaust so there was a great improvement in comfort. An aftermarket true-dual exhaust and mufflers would help. Of course, opening up the intake and adding a tuner to richen things up a bit along with some wide-band O2 sensors would definitely also help tremendously. (We're talking a couple thousand worth of mods here. I swapped the bike in and got a 2012. Problem solved...kinda.)
Good luck!
Jim

EITMS is only intended to reduce/shed some heat by shutting down the rear cyl, when bike reaches certain temp limit(s). If you're experiencing bouts with overheating it might be time to check the tune and possibly have bike adjusted, or get your own tuning device. Also, another good option, is adding an oil cooler. Overheating conditions shouldn't be the norm so something's causing motor to run hot and should be assessed. Good luck!

Back