free website stats program Over Heating ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Over Heating ?

Hubert

Hello fellow riders I have a question for the touring riders I just purchased chrome lowers will i have to remove them in the summer due to engin overheating? Please help

It is not recommended to use the lower fairings over 50*F, that's what it said about the soft lowers I bought for my husband.

I'm in the Houston area and ride year round (weather permitting). I take the lowers off in the Spring (late March/early April) and pop them back on in the late Fall or Winter (Nov. or Dec.). The lowers are designed to ram air to the jugs, but it is rider comfort that comes into play!!

TQ

Rode from Iowa to the California coast in July.
Desert and 115 degree heat with the lowers on.

I replaced my air temp gauge with a Marlins oil/head temp. gauge.
I was able to monitor the temps nicely and never had a problem.

Of course, my '07 has openings in the lower fairings to help air flow. Depends on your covers.

You can leave them on if they are harley ones as said they are made to ram air to the motor but you suffer a increase in heat

For some reason I am thinking that you are talking about the chrome wind deflectors that mount to the front forks, under the faring, or the ones that mount to the lower part of the faring - not faring lowers that mount to the crash bars.

If I am right, you should be able to run either one year round without any problems. If they are the faring mount and are adjustable, just open them in the summer.

True faring lowers are a judgement call - seems to be a 50/50 split to leave them on or not. I've had mine on since 1999 and have never had engine problems.

Back