free website stats program Ouch | Harley Davidson Forums

Ouch

RetiredJake

There I was, enjoying the nicest morning we had seen in more than a week, sun shinning, roads dry, temp in the high 60's. I'm cooking it into a corner, lean it over, shift my weight a little bit and there it is, GRAVEL! :newsmile030: Straighten it up, get on the brakes and ride it into the ditch (this is a narrow country road, not much over one lane wide). Everything was fine until I put the front wheel into a rut. Down we go, I fly over the handlebars and take a roll, soft dirt/mud, nothing hurt but my pride. Turn the ignition off on the bike, pick it up, look it over. Huge clump of mud wedged between the crash bar and the engine. Push as much off as I can, start the bike, ride it out of the ditch and over to the side of the road so I can get a better look. Everything looks pretty good other than being covered with mud. Fire it up, take off slowly, no problems. Slowly increase speed and everything seems to be fine, so I continue my ride. Go to put my feet on the highway pegs and one foot is noticably closer to me, something isn't right. Push on the pegs and I can move the crash bar around. Take it home and wash the mud off, put it on the lift and check out the crash bar. It's bent, the upper mounting bolt is bent, really hard to get out. Finally got it off and took these pictures. :cry

IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_19231.JPG

Oh well, it can be fixed, I have nothing more than a slight bruise where I caught a grip on my short flight. I have a tendancy to hotrod when I ride the Dyna :wall, guess I should spend more time on the geezer glide. :lolrolling

Jake; Glad it was the crash bar that got hurt and not you. If you haven't already, check around the crash bar mount hole under the neck. Sometimes the area will rip with a good hit.

The best thing that came out of the incident is that the worst was a couple of bits of metal are bent and they can be easily replaced
Some back roads can be fun but also can hold hidden dangers
glad your ok

Brian

If you haven't already, check around the crash bar mount hole under the neck. Sometimes the area will rip with a good hit.

I checked this area when I removed the bar. Yes, it was bent some, but not torn. I was able to push it back into place with some mechanical persuasion, close enough that the bar will mount square when I get it straightened, or get a new one.

That's why they call them crash bars. It saves a lot of damage on slow speed dumps. Good thing you had one and not like some guys that remove them for looks.

Glad you are OK.

Nice to read you are in one piece. Sounds like you might have saved yourself from a much worse outcome. Good job!

Jake, I'm Glad you're OK too... I Hate Gravel !! The Crash Bar took a lot of the energy in the sudden stop. If something had to go that's probably the best thing. I hope you'll not too sore in a day or two.

Back