free website stats program Oryginal HD vs Mikuni choke | Harley Davidson Forums

Oryginal HD vs Mikuni choke

Piotra

I have a question regarding Mikuni choke.
When you use original HD choke it can be full open or ½ position open. When you start bike after 15-30 min initial warm up you should ride about 3 min with full open position of choke knob, than you should set ½ position and run next 2 minutes and than you can close knob fully in.
What with the Mikuni choke cable. I think that there is only one position so you can have just open choke or close? Am I right or only my Mikuni cable is strange.
And last question. What rpm do yoy have during choke use. When you have normal operating temp the rpm should be 1000-1050. But when you start a bike and you have choke knob open what rpm engine has? And what rpm engine has when is a little bit warm before you close the choke knob.
Sorry for so many questions. I try to set all to be sure that is correct.

Best regards, Piotr

I have the Mikuni hsr 42 on 2 of my bikes and i used an easy kit which used the original harley choke cable after about 30 seconds i back the choke off a wee bit using engine sound as my guide to how far to push it in then i mount the bike check that everything feels good and the mirrors are correct etc and then push it in a wee bit further to get the revs low before selecting first i then ride a mile into town once clear of the road junction in town i push the choke knob fully in
neither bike has a rev counter i just use engine sound to determine choke position

Brian

I do not have a tach on bike also. But the problem with my Mikuni cable is that you can have it full open or just closed. So I can not push it a bit, even a half. I wonder if that's just problem with my Mikuni or each Mikuni choke cable.

I used my stock HD Keihn enrichener cable on my 42mm Mikuni. There is a friction knob on the front of the mounting tab (right under the knob when closed). I have mine set where it will stay anywhere I want it. Finger tighten only.

I used my stock HD Keihn enrichener cable on my 42mm Mikuni. There is a friction knob on the front of the mounting tab (right under the knob when closed). I have mine set where it will stay anywhere I want it. Finger tighten only.

Spot on here....

That adjustment is Plastic and will strip or break easily....

You should be able to Adjust the tension of that Pull - Push on the shaft/knob using it as Breez and fin_676 says... It will stay where it is put IF adjusted properly,,,,,Not Too Tight...:bigsmiley12:

signed....BUBBIE

Having done a wee bit of looking on line the mikuni cable uses a detent to keep it open while hd uses a tensioner so the mikuni cable is on off and the hd is multi position
http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/how_to_choke_cable.pdf

So it may be worth investing in a stock hd choke cable just to get that multi position opening

Brian

Thanks "fin_676"
I think I have to buy OEM choke. The problem with Mikuni is that when you start the engine it has huge rpms and when you want set smaller rpms than the choke is closing and cold engine stops. There is no possibility to adjust it like you want :(

Piotra; You are correct. I read your first sentence carefully, and sort of skipped over your second sentence where you inferred you had the Mikuni cable. My info is null and void.

Back