free website stats program Original exhaust systems | Harley Davidson Forums

Original exhaust systems

ausibatla

Does anybody know what the Harley dealerships do with the original exhaust systems when someone buys a new bike and wheels it out of the shop with an aftermarket system on it. I need a set for my '90 softail to get it through the registration inspection in W.A.
Cheers. :(

You can ask dealer, but when working at dealer we typically tossed O.E. exhaust into dumpster.
Is trying to find EPA compliant exhaust going to get you through inspection?

I had a set installed years ago on a scoot and they asked if I wanted then, if not they would toss them.

I got an original equipment exhaust system for each of my bikes off ebay however it took a wee bit of time doing weekly searches until the correct system showed up
Sportster keeps it's road legal system all the time softail and dyna get their road legal system for their annual inspection

Brian

I need a set for my '90 softail to get it through the registration inspection in W.A.
Cheers. :(

Is this for sound or emissions? If for sound, then any sort of noise reducing slip-ons will probably do the trick.

However, if for emissions, then what you will probably need to do is to lean out the AFR a bunch. If you have done a high flow A/C, you may need to go back to OEM on that too. And you will need to go back to jets that lean out the AFR. Without a sniffer and the spec they will be inspecting to, it is just a guessing game. Know any indies you can talk to about what will pass?

Cheers,

TQ

You can ask dealer, but when working at dealer we typically tossed O.E. exhaust into dumpster.
Is trying to find EPA compliant exhaust going to get you through inspection?

Yes. The system on it is too loud for Dept of Transport but not for use on the road. eg: the cops don't bother me.

I had a set installed years ago on a scoot and they asked if I wanted then, if not they would toss them.
Cheers Bro.

If your dealer has none, check E Bay for take offs
Thanks for that.

Is this for sound or emissions? If for sound, then any sort of noise reducing slip-ons will probably do the trick.

However, if for emissions, then what you will probably need to do is to lean out the AFR a bunch. If you have done a high flow A/C, you may need to go back to OEM on that too. And you will need to go back to jets that lean out the AFR. Without a sniffer and the spec they will be inspecting to, it is just a guessing game. Know any indies you can talk to about what will pass?

Cheers,

TQ
It's just for the noise.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put on a set of Monster Ovals. They have a nice low and deep rumble, but will bark if you twist on them.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Yes. The system on it is too loud for Dept of Transport but not for use on the road. eg: the cops don't bother me.

Cheers Bro.

Thanks for that.

It's just for the noise.
Thanks.
If it's just a noise issue a set of quieter slip on's will do the trick.

Looking at the DMV rules for Washington state show motorcycles are emission exempt. What point or what is the inspection station using to cause your rejection?

Inspection Exemptions
The following vehicles are exempt from emissions testing in Washington state:

• Various eco-friendly vehicles*, including:
    • Hybrid vehicles (i.e. Honda Insight, Toyota Prius).
    • Vehicles powered only by:
      • Electricity.
      • Propane.
      • Compressed natural gas.
      • Liquid petroleum.
    • Diesel vehicles:
      • Weighing under 6,001 lbs.
      • Model year 2007 or newer.
  • Vehicles model year 2009 and newer.
  • Vehicles over 25 years old.
  • Motorcycles.
  • Motor-driven cycles.