free website stats program Ordered my 2011 Fatboy,,need advice | Harley Davidson Forums

Ordered my 2011 Fatboy,,need advice

davidfb

I am a new guy, joined in October. I ended up having to order a Fatboy to get ABS. Should arrive next month. Ordered with ABS security, Black.
What are your thoughts on accessories? Like windshield, some type rack
for carrying items. Also order or get from HD.
I have been reading a lot of post on here, great information!!

AS I said in my new member post I took the 3 day safety course in October,
haven't ridden much in a long time.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Depends on your riding style.
Are you going out for a few hours once a weekend?
Or do you plan on some overnight trips or a ride for 4-8 hours on weekend?
Longer the ride, more accessories make the trip more comfortable.

I am a new guy, joined in October. I ended up having to order a Fatboy to get ABS. Should arrive next month. Ordered with ABS security, Black.
What are your thoughts on accessories? Like windshield, some type rack
for carrying items. Also order or get from HD.
I have been reading a lot of post on here, great information!!

AS I said in my new member post I took the 3 day safety course in October,
haven't ridden much in a long time.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Welcome to The Forum and your first post, Do you have the 011 accessory catalog, that would be a good place to start looking they are free at your dealer, also @ HD.com you can see bikes with accessories on Good Luck, Capital Jack:s

Man what I would give to be you! Wouldn't make same mistakes twice. The FB is an awesome bike! Personally, I would ride it as is for a while. At least till the 1,000 mile break-in service. ALWAYS do that one at HD. Then I would start thinking about bolt-on stuff.

Then while you are riding be thinking of what you'd like to change. What you need to change. Then I would not limit myself to HD accesories. They are over priced for one and limited in styling options. I'd get a J&P or Dennis Kirk catologue and do some dreaming and price shopping.

The very first accessory that you MUST buy is a Service Manual. Even if you are not doing your own wrenching. It will help you understand what the gizmos are and what they do.

Enjoy the new ride!

BDJ

Thanks for the info., I will go to HD and try to get a Service manual now, do you think they will have the 2011?

They ought to. J&P had the 2010 in their 2010 catalogue. Haven't got my 2011 cat yet... by the way J&P sells them. When I bought mine I used a $15 coupon. They sent me a free American Cycle magazine with it. Total bill was $55 including shipping. They're $60 at the shop...

Yes, I'm a J&P fan. So far anyway

Any accessories you order at the dealer when you pick up your bike will have the full warranty coverage and full coverage with the extended warranty!!! If you buy them later they are not covered. Oh yea, don't forget to get the extended warranty.

I am retired so I will probably ride around here local for a while. I have a park near by with a huge parking lot for me to get used to riding, I have wanted a Fatboy for 20 years so when I retired I decided it was over due.

Resist the temptation to run out and spend more money on your bike. Ride it. Enjoy it. Learn all its characteristics and pros/cons. Sometimes it's more important to spend money initially on yourself. Helmet, gloves, boots, jackets, etc. are all essential for safe and comfortable riding.

I agree the only exception to the above is to get the actual HD Service Manual for your bike.

My only issue with HD accessories installed new is #1 price. #2 if you do the math on financing that $50 peice of chrome over 7 years, its insane how much you pay out. You have to realize that its in effect the last $50 you will pay off, since it wouldn't be there if you didn't ask for it. $50 at 9% you end up paying almost $100 for that part. Maybe not a big deal, but if you buy $1500 worth, it gets crazy.

Back