free website stats program Options For Using '07 Road King Salvage | Harley Davidson Forums

Options For Using '07 Road King Salvage

Rod Stewart

Hi All;
Well the insurance company has agreed to a payout for the wreck of last spring, though I am still awaiting a check. (Man they move slowly when it comes to paying out money.) Meanwhile I was down to my buddies place in Phoenix the other day and picked up what's left of the bike. This was the first time I had actually seen it (except for pix) and it is not really as bad as I thought it would be, considering what it went through. It needs lots of parts replaced, but its definitely rebuildable for someone with the time and the inclination. I think the frame is likely OK, though there is no way to be sure. The engine is a 103" with SE255 cams, and the tranny is a stock 6 speed. Both in good working order. Lace wheels and tires in good shape. Rinehart true duals have a scratch or two, but useable. It has just over 21K miles.
The front forks, crash bars, handlebars, windshield, front fender, passing lights, saddlebags, tank, are all shot.
So a couple of options that look possible:
1. Does anyone know of a rebuilder in or near Arizona who might be interested in buying the salvage outright for a rebuild project?
2. Does anyone have a lead on a cosmetically intact '07 or newer Road King that has a trashed drive train, that I could purchase? A flood or water damaged bike would be a reasonable candidate.
3. Does anyone out there have for the salvage as described for a rebuild project?
I can send pix of the bike to anyone who might be interested.

Thanks,
Rod

For a moment you had me thinking about it.
But we have a few things planed for the house, bigger laundry room, extending out the garage and patio cover so I better pass.
Did you ever replace the bike yet, and how is your friend doing?

For a moment you had me thinking about it.
But we have a few things planed for the house, bigger laundry room, extending out the garage and patio cover so I better pass.
Did you ever replace the bike yet, and how is your friend doing?
Thanks for asking; my friend is doing quite well, though he still has quite a bit of pain in the mangled knee. But he is getting his mobility back and walking with barely a limp.
I have not bought a replacement bike yet but I will start looking around soon. I'll probably hold off until I get the insurance check in the bank.
Meanwhile we trailered the '04 Classic from home down here for the winter, so we can be biking anyway.

Another idea I had was maybe doing a Frankenstein transplant of the '07 engine and tranny into the '04 Classic.
It would be real nice to have the 103" and six-speed tranny in the Classic.
Anyone done something like this and have any pointers on what to expect?
I think mechanically it is doable because its the same generation frame.
Exhaust and cableing should be easy.
The big problems I think are going to be electrical.
I can salvage the '07 ECM and wiring harness, but I don't know how compatible it will all be with the rest of the '04 wiring.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Well a final update to the whole Roadking saga.
Except for a few small remaining parts, the entire bike has been parted out and sold.
The frame and all running gear went to a fellow in Phoenix for a project build.
The engine and tranny went to a guy in Vegas to replace the 88 inch engine in his Roadking, which blew up in early April.
He will be a very happy camper indeed!
Various other smaller parts were bought by other folks.
I would up OK financially, plus I was able to swap a few salvageable parts over to my '04 Classic, including cruise control which it never had before.
My friend who was riding the bike is getting along well, and is scheduled to have knee replacement surgery soon, since the damage to his left knee resulted in some arthritis setting in. Once he is recovered from that he should be like new!
All is well that ends well I guess.
Thanks,
Rod

Back