free website stats program Only 4th and 5th gear | Harley Davidson Forums

Only 4th and 5th gear

HDSTREET74

I was riding home after a nice 120 mile ride to blow off some steam after work when it happened. Coming up from 3rd to 4th i heard a loud pop! I did the look around no smoke , engine still under power, shifted into 5th and rode home about 8 miles. Thinking i just must have hit something in the road i forgot about it until i had to down shift . To make a long story short i have no 1st 2nd and 3rd gear or nuetral. The shifter clicks in 4th and 5th ,but it is dead after that. Thanks any help would be great. This texas weahter is calling me need to ride....

I was riding home after a nice 120 mile ride to blow off some steam after work when it happened. Coming up from 3rd to 4th i heard a loud pop! I did the look around no smoke , engine still under power, shifted into 5th and rode home about 8 miles. Thinking i just must have hit something in the road i forgot about it until i had to down shift . To make a long story short i have no 1st 2nd and 3rd gear or nuetral. The shifter clicks in 4th and 5th ,but it is dead after that. Thanks any help would be great. This texas weahter is calling me need to ride....

Need more info:
  • Year of bike (tranny)
  • OEM or aftermarket tranny
  • Any work done in the past on the tranny or primary
Beyond that, take the cover off the top of the tranny and describe what you see (pix are even better - from both sides of the bike)

Then check the shift lever on the side of the tranny that the foot lever connects with - does the lever move on the tranny splined shaft?

Open up the derby cover and describe what you see (again, pix are better). Since you have less than the number of posts required to post here, establish an account on photobucket.com and post there. Put link in your reply here.

Let us know what you find.

TQ

Try moving the lever by hand, up shift, then down shift. Does the shift lever have spring tension to return to center? Or does it just want to stay where it is? The '92's had a problem with a sharp edge on the shift pawl, that wore a groove into the spring, eventually breaking it. If the lever does not have pressure both directions, that may be it. If it does have equal pressure, TQ has you covered.

Get the cover off that tranny and look inside hope the shifter return spring is not broken and in the case

Back