free website stats program One issue with the RKC | Harley Davidson Forums

One issue with the RKC

Drew

I'm loving the bike, but I wear a full face helmet, and have to move my head to see the gauges. I knew this would be the case before I bought the bike, so it's not unexpected It's easy enough to see the speedometer with a subtle nod of the head. But when I'm looking to confirm the status of my turn signals, I have to really take eyes down... Is there any way to remedy this... or at least make it a little easier?

That may just be one of the sacrifices when owning this bike? Any suggestions would be appreciated

best
Drew

Last edited:
Re: One issue with the '09 RKC

turn signals are self cancelling on a HD so no worries about checking

I know that... but I usually check to make sure they're on when I intend them (there was an instance where I apparently didn't depress the turn signal "properly" and it never went on... almost got me in an accident). So now, I tend to always check... maybe I should trust them more. I also double check when changing lanes on the highway... once I'm in the lane I want to be in, I don't want it to continue to flash.

I guess it was that one instance that has formed this habit.

You'll become accustomed to it and hardly notice it with a bit of time.

Of course, it does suggest the need for a HUD (Heads Up Display) in the helmet visor for full engine and navigation information. I say that in jest; but, they have them for scuba diving now so who knows?

You're just going to have to get used to a quick check by moving your head if you want to continue with this habit. Even if they're on, you should ride as if noone sees them anyway!

This is just one of the minor reasons I chose the Street Glide over the RK - I liked the gauges and monitor lights up a little higher and more easily checked with peripheral vision and not an actual head movement - must be the pilot in me!

I just went to a full face helmet and that was the first thing I notice. What a pain. Only way I can see how to fix it on my bob is to mount one of those full digital intrument panels up on the risers. 5-600 bucks...that said not worth it to me. Just going to have to start trusting the instincts.

I just went to a full face helmet and that was the first thing I notice. What a pain. Only way I can see how to fix it on my bob is to mount one of those full digital intrument panels up on the risers. 5-600 bucks...that said not worth it to me. Just going to have to start trusting the instincts.

I suppose the only solution would be to do what you suggest. And upon further thought, I don't want to ruin the look or lines of the bike. I've only had the RKC for 5 weeks... I will learn its nuances before too long.

What is the chance that you could add a couple of small LED's to either the hand controls or the windshield. I know that you lose the ability of removing the windshield quickly when mounting to them but I am sure there is a way it could be done.

A friend put these on his RK. They look great and work for him. He also installed them himself without too much difficulty, you just have to take your time.

V-Logo Turn Signal Indicator for Road King® Models. HD Part Number 91578-00
:USA

Attachments

• 91578_00OB_M_19786.jpg
    91578_00OB_M_19786.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I'm loving the bike, but I wear a full face helmet, and have to move my head to see the gauges. I knew this would be the case before I bought the bike, so it's not unexpected It's easy enough to see the speedometer with a subtle nod of the head. But when I'm looking to confirm the status of my turn signals, I have to really take eyes down... Is there any way to remedy this... or at least make it a little easier?

That may just be one of the sacrifices when owning this bike? Any suggestions would be appreciated

best
Drew

Not being a smarty - pants ,but, instead of looking at the gauges , can you see the turn signal itself on the RKC???

Back