free website stats program oils | Harley Davidson Forums

oils

ooheritage

I own a 2000 heritage classic I was told not to use a full synthetic oil, my thing is I would like to go to the Screaming Eagle SYN3 full synthetic 20/50 and I should be able to use that for motor, tranny, and primary is that OK or is that a no no. I don't want to mess my bike up.

Thank you all

I own a 2000 heritage classic I was told not to use a full synthetic oil, my thing is I would like to go to the Screaming Eagle SYN3 full synthetic 20/50 and I should be able to use that for motor, tranny, and primary is that OK or is that a no no. I don't want to mess my bike up.

Thank you all
Check out the self-help section and other threads on this very issue!

It looks like most people prefer the Mobil 1 V-Twin oil, then Amsoil for the engine oil, the Harley site talks highly about the SYN 3, is it just such a new product that not that many people have started using it?

I would suggest Spectro for all components. 20-50 HD Platinum Synthetic for the engine, HD primary oil and then Spectro Platinum Synthetic gear oil. Other good choices but this makes it simple and keeps it in the same family. You can find it at Bob's Cycle Supply online and their prices are reasonable and the shipping is cheap.

I would like to know what oil you have always been running in your 2000 bike - dino or synthetic?? How many miles on your bike? I have an '01 and just would like to know -- are you switching to synthetic NOW?

Bill

Not partial ag all but Mobil 1 V Twin is the best choice by far and Amsoil.... only if you can find it and don't have to be a "preferred customer" or a "paid to be a dealer" or "jobber" in the pyramid system. :bigsmiley20:

As far as Syn 3, I wouldn't use that semi synthetic in a lawn mower even if I didn't care about it very much.:s

It's overpriced for what it is and not what they advertise it to be.:D

(But I'm not opinionated) :lolrolling

glider, you are constantly stating that syn3 is semi synthetic but according to the HD website it is a full synthetic. I dont use it myself as I prefer Mobile 1 but we should be sure of the info we pass on.

glider, you are constantly stating that syn3 is semi synthetic but according to the HD website it is a full synthetic. I dont use it myself as I prefer Mobile 1 but we should be sure of the info we pass on.

Don't be fooled by the big corporations and what they say. It took a gaggle of lawyers and mucho $$$ to get that label on the bottle that is misleading. It is a BLEND from base stock that is a DINO oil.

To quote one of the links...

Harley-Davidson talks about SYN3 in their advertising as:
"Developed with a proprietary blend of three synthetic basestocks, ..."

Read this and see for yourself.

Syn 3 MSDS - Harley Davidson Community

Synthetic Oils - Harley Davidson Community

Oil Groups Explained - Harley Davidson Community

Thank you all

One thing I notice here and to NOT debate the oil SYN3 (a SIN)

Your bike was made in 2000 and HD said NOT to use a synthetic,,,, TOO Slippery... Came from the mouths of the many HD tech's I asked thru the years....

NOW synthetic gets their approval BUT only SYN3

From New, in my 2000 FXDS I used FULL Synthetics, REDLINE products.

I used ENGINE OIL, PRIMARY OIL,TRANNY OIL...... and it is Labeled for "That" specific use,,, Not one for all

NEVER did I use ONE engine oil to do the full job in the 3 holes........
Harley wanted to make $$$$$ and Free-up shelf space, so they said one oil, all three holes...

That is crazy to use a 20/50 w oil in the TRANNY.... Not heavy enough Regardless who's engine oil!

I would tread Lightly on HD's Idea of ALL 3 HOLES with their oil SYN3...

signed....also.opinionated....BUBBIE

Don't be fooled by the big corporations and what they say. It took a gaggle of lawyers and mucho $$$ to get that label on the bottle that is misleading. It is a BLEND from base stock that is a DINO oil.

To quote one of the links...

Harley-Davidson talks about SYN3 in their advertising as:
"Developed with a proprietary blend of three synthetic basestocks, ..."

Read this and see for yourself.

Syn 3 MSDS - Harley Davidson Community

Synthetic Oils - Harley Davidson Community

Oil Groups Explained - Harley Davidson Community

Glider, thanks for the clarification.

That is crazy to use a 20/50 w oil in the TRANNY.... Not heavy enough Regardless who's engine oil!
I disagree there Bubster....

SYN 3 is great to use in the transmission.

By the time the shift forks blue from poor lubrication as well as an inferior oil of too lighter viscosity for gears as well as other parts wearing beyond limits, your warranty will be over and you can pay for the repairs out of pocket!

Keep using the poor excuse for a synthetic oil and see for yourself. Report back to us after the warranty has ended and your trans is starting to get hard to shift and making strange noises. :small3d012:

Why not call HD customer support and ask if it is OK to use the HD-SYN 3 in the transmission or if they have replaced it with the formula + and why this was done. The SYN 3 being a 20/50 oil and the Formula+ being a 50 wt.

Back