free website stats program oiling question? | Harley Davidson Forums

oiling question?

67 flh shovel electraglide, found s&s oil pump also s&s crank , now for the question . there is not a primary chain oiler installed but when it cranks there is oil inside primary housing. could it be? or should it be coming from the crank being its not stock? i have inner primary off now i see no leaks around main shaft seal area but oil is coming from somewhere.can it be oiling from the crank itself and is it normal?

67 flh shovel electraglide, found s&s oil pump also s&s crank , now for the question . there is not a primary chain oiler installed but when it cranks there is oil inside primary housing. could it be? or should it be coming from the crank being its not stock? i have inner primary off now i see no leaks around main shaft seal area but oil is coming from somewhere.can it be oiling from the crank itself and is it normal?

If the oiler on the pump is shut off or plugged there should be no oil in the primary unless it is seeping past the seal or migrating from a porous case JMO

Tech Tips take a look here, Scroll down it shows a good picture of your pump:s

Last edited by a moderator:
Orignal engines of that vintage oil from the engine ran into the primary. Old timers would block the holes on the engine case. Engine oil was hard on the clutch.

The feed and the return ports from the engine case if not block or were block could be coming in there.

there most definately is oil coming around main shaft area when cranking there isnt any connection to oil pump not even a oil pressure switch. so what should i do ? I'm so close at getting this dang thing running for the rest of the summer but now im worried about having a major issue.

My 75 has a line from the oil pump to the back of the primary case this is adjustable by a screw on the oil pump. It also has a return line from the bottom of the case ( dry sump) back to the pump. I have never seen a s&s oil pump but if it is the proper one for that bike I would think it must have the openings. If you have the holes in the back of the inner case prehaps replacing the pump would be called for or replace the chain with a belt.

Back