free website stats program oil weeping | Harley Davidson Forums

oil weeping

fredm1130

I have a 04 low rider, The drain plug for the primary weeps oil not enough to drop on the ground but enough to dity up the rear wheel. I have used thread tape and I bought a new plug with thread tape. Has helped but didnt stop it. Any ideas?:42:

I have a 04 low rider, The drain plug for the primary weeps oil not enough to drop on the ground but enough to dity up the rear wheel. I have used thread tape and I bought a new plug with thread tape. Has helped but didnt stop it. Any ideas?:42:

Are you sure that is where the fluid is leaking? I had a similar and VERY frustrating drip from the bottom of the primary. Fiddled with the drain plug, replaced the derby cover gasket, replaced the primary cover gasket, and all that!! Finally figured out it was the tranny vent tube spraying a fine mist of tranny fluid on the back of the inner primary which would run down and drip very slowly, and would trash everything behind that point. Check that out to see. See this post for a guy with a similar sounding problem:

roofmaninboca - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

yes I am sure, As I can reach down and put my figer on the plug and it is wet, wet to the point it is about to drip. It isnt much of weep but dont like it ya know?

But thx I will check into the tranny mist

Get yourself some good pipe dope, or some Permatex#2. Clean the plug well, clean the drain hole well, and install. You could also use some High temp RTV if you have it, but you need to make doubly sure things are clean and dry if you do.
Stay away from any teflon tape, or pipe dope with teflon. Everyone will tell you it is ok to use but...trust me...I can tell you from years of experience, it does not play well with petroleum products and will eventually weep thru.
Plain old pipe joint compound...the black stuff that you can't get off your hands....will work just fine.

Oh wow thz for the teflon tape rule, I didnt know this and as I get my hands on it easy, i use it will need to try the pipe dope. Thx for all the help guys.

I agree with tquentin, I've had a tiny drip at my drain plug (it's the lowest point) and I finally found that I was getting a small weep from the stator wiring coming from the left front of the primary case and it would run down and back and end up dripping off the primary plug. I cleaned and black siliconed around the stator wiring hole, leak stopped at the prime plug, most of the time it's not the plug itself

Reach back under the primary to where the inner primary joins to the tranny and see if it's wet. The inner primary seals might be leaking and that drain plug is the exact spot where it presents itself. Good luck!

Back