free website stats program Oil Temp Issue/Solution | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp Issue/Solution

franka

07 Road King with 38.000 miles. Recently installed Dakota Digital oil temp gauge and was surprised to see that in ambient temp of 70-80 degrees my oil temp is running 270 -290 degrees. I've been told that every bike is unique and some just run hotter than others. I'm concerned this temp is running close to critical and thinking about installing a Jagg 10 row oil cooler. Looking for input on whether or not I should be concerned and also is Jagg the cooler I should be looking at?
WAP.gif

I had my '07 Electra Glide out for 100+ miles yesterday in 70-75 degree temps. My oil was consistently at 215-220. In town, stop and go riding it climbs fast, and will get to 260. Summer temps are above 300 in town.
Were you in town, or cruising when you saw those temps? Is your gauge a dash mount with probe in bottom of oil pan, or a dip stick type (they read hotter).

I installed an oil temp on my 08 EGC, it was reading so high I was afraid of damaging the bike (300+), checked it with a dipstick gauge and found my dash gauge was reading over 40* high. Don't worry about the reading, these bikes are designed to take the heat (you'll notice the HD gauges read to 350*), I've learned what my gauge reads during normal operation and use it for reference, not for diagnostic purposes. FWIW, the temp your reporting doesn't sound too hot to me, not for these TC engines.

I had my '07 Electra Glide out for 100+ miles yesterday in 70-75 degree temps. My oil was consistently at 215-220. In town, stop and go riding it climbs fast, and will get to 260. Summer temps are above 300 in town.
Were you in town, or cruising when you saw those temps? Is your gauge a dash mount with probe in bottom of oil pan, or a dip stick type (they read hotter).

270ish when cruising 290 at idle, gauge is handlebar mount with oil pan sender
WAP.gif

Here's a chart that shows regular oils breakdown & efficiency @ temp. Synthetic is good to about 340 degrees. I would replace my oil temp gauge if I could find some other useful gauge to put in the hole. I think Oil temp. just gives me unnecessary concern.

Attachments

• Oil-Breakdown chart.jpg
    Oil-Breakdown chart.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 39
I always thought about a oil temp gauge started way back in 1998 with me.My 98 heritage was always feeling like it was really hot but like you said just figured something else to worry about

Back