free website stats program oil temp gauge is blowing out | Harley Davidson Forums

oil temp gauge is blowing out

kram12341

I just changed my oil on my heritage softtail and the oil temp gauge will blow out when I start it after that it is fine

Kram12341, welcome to HDTimeline and hope you spend some time to look in the Self Help Tab for tips & tricks as well as the Search Tab using keywords to find threads relating to your temp guage. Could you clarify what you mean by the oil temperature guage is "blowing out".

Most touring bike riders have replaced the air temp guage that normally comes on the bike with oil temp guage (either electrical w/ sender or mechanical movement with Bertinoli tube. Is yours the one that goes in the fairing or the HD Multi-fit one that bolts next to the rocker cover?

Welcome to the forum, I have seen them blow out but only from being over filled. Is there a chance some oil sumped into the crank case and then when you changed it, you refilled it and the extra oil pumped back into the tank forcing the plug out? Have you rode the bike after you put the plug back in and then checked level?

Welcome, I read about 5 months ago a simular thing happening on a Softail.
The responce that corrected their problem was to wipe off the rubber seal at the top of the dip stick. Seems the oil around the seal was making the stick so slick it didn't hold well. Hope this solution helps in your case.

Ive seen this before with too much oil in the tank, agree with Chopper on this one,Jack

Thanks for clarifying that it must be the oil temperature dipstick type that is blowing out? Takes a lot of pressure to "blow out", so is it as Chopper suggested an oil sumping problem where the oil leaks past a check valve, so sump fills a bit with oil, and upon firing engine up, the excess fluid "pops off" the dipstick?

Back