free website stats program Oil spitting from tranny vent? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil spitting from tranny vent?

kldrury

I have a 90 Heritage and just installed a new oil pump. It runs great but I'm getting oil spitting from the tube coming from the motor right beside the oil pump. Never had this problem before. Any help very appreciated!

I have a 90 Heritage and just installed a new oil pump. It runs great but I'm getting oil spitting from the tube coming from the motor right beside the oil pump. Never had this problem before. Any help very appreciated!

Did you open up the nose cone in order to install the new oil pump? If so, you may have mis-timed the breather gear. If this is off you may be exhausting oil out the breather line. You will have to get back in there and align all of the timing marks to retime the engine.

See figure 3-55 here:

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Last edited:
Close to the oil pump on the main crank case is the crank case breather this should not be an open tube but should be plugged into the rear of the air cleaner back plate
if the air cleaner back plate has been replaced by a later model a filter should be on the end of the breather pipe

Brian

That hose was always open and running under the frame. I don't have anything running to the air cleaner. I did open the nose cone so I'll try that now. I'll keep y'all posted...

And I bet that's it cause being the idiot that I am I pulled the breather gear out just to see what it did!!! no thought to the fact it might be in there a certain way..... Thank you for that file TQuentin1. VERY helpful!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That hose was always open and running under the frame. I don't have anything running to the air cleaner. I did open the nose cone so I'll try that now. I'll keep y'all posted...

Re reading ALL the above POST, YES it has to align....

signed....BUBBIE

Back