free website stats program oil shower | Harley Davidson Forums

oil shower

Big Rol

OK guys, without laughing what the(EDIT)went wrong. Put 2k on the bike last year 2006 fxst and just now getting ready to ride (long story) changed fluids and charged bat. Fired up first crack but blew the dipstick to the roof and spewed mobile 1 everywhewre, still pumping it out of the tank when i shut her down. I let the oil drain overnight and even at that there didn,t seem to be a lot come, hard to tell what came out as i used a container that had some in it. is there some way the oil would stay in the engine and not drain, I filled to cold fill mark, a little over 3 litres, any ideas? thanks

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
What oil filter did you use???? It sounds like system is making alot of pressure that it should not be.....
2ND question: Perhaps did you only drain trans based on the little bit that drained and you added 3 liters to a already full oil pan????

Softails are a problem when oil drains INTO the motor..... Sitting over night OR for a LONGER time, It is Not unusual to have a Large amount of oil drain into the motor... IF you start the bike and let idle for a few minutes IT will pump all the extra Back out into the tank..

IF you drained out the oil without starting the bike,:newsmile055: EVEN though you had the plug out over night,,,, Only a given amount of Oil drained out.
Rest stayed in the engine... then IF YOU added TOO MUCH oil for the cold level,,,,, THIS is the problem.. WAY Over Filled.... Happens to many that don't Know the above...

Once the RIGHT level is there you should not have this problem...:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

First guys, sorry about the language, i was..irate, I never touched the tranny and used the 5 micron HD filter with Mobile 1 VT oil. So I hope you are right Bubbie, I will run her a bit and clean up the mess drain and more mobile, thanks again guys

First guys, sorry about the language, i was..irate, I never touched the tranny and used the 5 micron HD filter with Mobile 1 VT oil. So I hope you are right Bubbie, I will run her a bit and clean up the mess drain and more mobile, thanks again guys

Look where you oil tank is.... Up on the side..... Oil does drain DOWN into the motor.. It is Not supposed too but "they all do it" (most all)

I Know My OIL Level is UP to Full, Checking when HOT and When I shut Down my sport.R. after a ride...

I check it Hot and AFTER the ride so I know it is right when I start it COLD next time..

IF I check my oil after several days sitting, IT IS GONE,,Tank shows Over a Quart LOW or More..It's Mostly in the engine.. I start and DON"T blip the throttle... Giving it a minute to idle and then When I check to see it is right on the COLD full spot....

signed....BUBBIE

Everthing makes sense now, Thats the beauty of this forum. Great to be back, Ride safe!

Too a look at where you are... Nice place, Kinda a little North and a Bit East of me here in Wa state..:D

I had a gal friend wanting to go along with me for a ride so I called her and asked he to get her bike ready and I would be by in a 1/2 hour..

Got there and wondered Why she wasn't ready,,,,,, Seemed she added oil to her bike, saying it was over a quart low....:newsmile055:

What was she doing STILL in the garage,,, sopping up oil... We Both went LOOKING for her oil cap:D

07 Softail go figure...:newsmile036:

She Learned.....:laugh

signed....BUBBIE

Short riding season but great riding,Look me up if you ever get to CB, you got do the cabot trail at least once in your life (Thunder in the Highlands) check it out!

Back