free website stats program Oil shooting in to my air filter??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil shooting in to my air filter???

carz

OK I haven’t seen anything on this sight about this any help is welcome thanks... When I started my bike (89 fxsts 80cu in, evo motor) this spring it shot oil in to my air filter and leaked on to my exhaust, then eventually stopped, not too bad the guys at the dealership said it was from sitting on the kickstand all winter long. And today when I was riding it started doing it again... it was smoking so bad it looked like oil was literally bring poured rite on to the exhaust.... any ideas guys??

Possible causes are overfilled oil tank, bad breathers in the heads and extended high speed riding.

well I’ve only been riding on small highways so 50 - 55 is the max I’ve been doing... so u think I should check the oil level, cause when I changed it this spring it was perfect, and as I said it did the same thing earlier this spring when I went to start it, before the oil was changed.. So u think I should remove the breather lines and try cleaning them out??

The first thing I would ask is...had it been a while since it was started last?
The older Evos, when sitting up for a while, can let oil leak by the check valve, resulting in liquid in the sump. If this happens it will scavenge throught the vent into the breather when it's started (puking). You might pull the check valve and spring to see if there is some trash in it.

If, for some reason, mine isn't started for a couple of weeks, I pull the vent off of the air cleaner and stick it in a coffee can. If it pukes, it won't get things oily. As long as it doesn't sit for too long, things are fine.

yeah i have heard that, and it did sit for a bit, About a week to two weeks while i was chainging the stator and roter, yet i rode it for a good 30miles THEN it started doing this. and when i start it in the spring it did it almost imediatly.. does this still sound normal??

Evos do this after winter time setting also check and clean or replace tappet screen

yeah i have heard that, and it did sit for a bit, About a week to two weeks while i was chainging the stator and roter, yet i rode it for a good 30miles THEN it started doing this. and when i start it in the spring it did it almost imediatly.. does this still sound normal??

The puking after sitting for a while is pretty normal. Puking after an oil change usually means you've overfilled it. The dipstick should be on the mark with the bike up and level. If you fill it to the mark while it's on the kickstand it's probably overfilled.

Yeah but what a bout the fact that i rode for a good while then it started to spit the oil out?? andy idea why that is???

Back