free website stats program Oil seal replacement help needed | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil seal replacement help needed

Mosko

I'm trying to replace the oil seal between the 5th / main drive gear, and the main shaft, part # 12035B. Is there a trick to removing it, or does the main shaft need to be removed to replace it?

You will need to pull the bearing inner race from the main shaft to get access to the seal
drill a small hole in the metal part of the seal and screw in a self tapping screw then you can pull on the screw to pull the seal out
I used the claw end of a crow bar and the seal just popped out
clean up the area on the main shaft that the seal bears on fit a new seal and use some abs pipe of suitable diameter and length to fit over the main shaft and drive the seal in to its correct depth

Brian

Yes it is a fairly simple task However it is best to use a centre punch to mark where you are going to drill as due to the main shaft being in the way you will have to drill at an angle and the drill could skip and damage the main shaft so the centre punch will create a depression that the drill bit will work in
When i first looked at this job i thought i would have to strip the gearbox to replace the seal and had a few days thinking time of how i would tackle the situation before i came up with this simple solution but during my thinking time i did a wee bit of web searching and found this site although it did not have an answer to my problem i liked the place and have been here ever since

Brian

Thank you sir, I've done basically the same thing you posted there. I've had a few days to think about it, and decided to get some useful tips before attempting it.

I've had the main drive sprocket splines to strip, and while I'm that far into the primary I decided to replace all the seals. I'm not sure the seal in question is even leaking, but with my luck if I don't change it now, it'll leak later.

Back