free website stats program Oil Question, But Not An Oil Thread | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Question, But Not An Oil Thread

fxdc1951

I have a question for you guys. My buddy's dad is getting up in age, and has some health problems, which limit his riding. He doesn't want to give it up but he only rides about 2,000 miles a year. He uses Mobil One V-Twin in his Road King, and changed it last fall. He's wondering, since he only expects to have about 2200 miles on the oil, if he needs to change it this fall, or will it be ok to just leave it in all winter, ride on it next summer, then change it with about 5,000 miles on the oil. However, it will have been in the bike for two years. What do you think?

I'm sure there will be some members that will have all the reasons one way or another, but for me I would change it before storage and probably before the next riding season.

I know I will get disagreement but I say leave it. I change mine in the fall but inevitably I have a few nice days after its changed. I am not about to not ride it or change it again because I have.

I know I will get disagreement but I say leave it. I change mine in the fall but inevitably I have a few nice days after its changed. I am not about to not ride it or change it again because I have.

I agree. Start it occasionally and get her hot to get rid of the condensation that may have formed. That will keep critical components coated in oil and help prevent internal rust. Just my 2 cents. :D

Any internal combustion engine produce carbon and has a certain amount of blowbye. This puts deposits in the oil that are acidic causing the oil to eat away at the crankcase and bearings while sitting for prolonged periods. For this reason I always change my oil before laying my bike up for the season. JMHO.
You decide.

I would also agree to change it in the fall when I figured No more riding.. Once a Year the Least...:(.

Here in Az. ,,, it is strictly by the miles for me and others in a Warm climate probably the same.:s Year around riding is a Good thing:yes

BUT it is His bike and HE should decide. I always keep things in Pristine Condition and now in my old age, I started to ask myself WHY...?..?...

WHY would I care after I'm gone... Ah ha :sMAYBE the one inheriting the Gent's Bike Should be the Changer... That would make thing easier on the older guy.

signed....BUBBIE

Everyone has a reason to justify their thinking it seems...that oil will be just as good as the day it was changed or it is no good at all it seems to me...if you can afford and it makes you feel better is the only real question in my opinion....I know I wouldn't be giving my kids money away....ha.

Peace of mind is priceless. So make the best decision for your self...:s

I agree. Start it occasionally and get her hot to get rid of the condensation that may have formed. That will keep critical components coated in oil and help prevent internal rust. Just my 2 cents. :D
Usually recommended to NOT start the bike occasionally.
That in itself creates moisture.

Better to change the oils before storage and leave it sit until riding time is back.

Learned many years ago about oil contaminants and long-term storage. Used to never change oil in MN before storage and one year I had to tear into my 1980 GS550 crankcase. Couldn't believe the amount of sludge and contamination were sealed-up in the motor. From then on I always change fluids before storage.

Back