free website stats program oil pump problem? | Harley Davidson Forums

oil pump problem?

slim jim

I am a newbee here, and i just got my bike home. When i started it, it was fairly quiet. I shut bike off and then when i started it back up,, there was a lot of noise in the top end. The noise was mainly in the lifter area and some up top. When started, it made a lot of noise in the lifter area and kind of made less noise. I am new to these evo motors and wanted to know if there is problems with the oil pump or anything else i should do. I do not have to be faced with a rebuild right off. thank for any help you can give me.

The lifters are adjusted automatically by oil pressure
when the bike is switched off for a while the lifters will bleed down and on first start may be a little noisy
they then pump up with oil and should quieten down after a short period of time
if they are still noisy after a few moments then the lifters may need to be replaced

Brian

You did not say what the mileage was but you may want to change your oil to insure the correct weight is being used, then temporarily install a mechanical oil pressure gauge just to see what your pressure is at idle and upper RPM's. This will at least give you a good indication if the noise you hear is from the as mentioned bad lifter etc or due to low pump pressure which could be involved. I would think 10 psi at idle and 30 psi at upper rpm would be nice to see.

You did not say what the mileage was but you may want to change your oil to insure the correct weight is being used ...

I agree with what Hoople said above. Change your oil and filter in the engine, change the tranny/primary fluid. No matter what you paid for the bike, this is good insurance. For recommended fluids, see here:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Remember that the Sportster has one fluid for the primary AND tranny. I suggest that you use HD Formula + as the fluid for this application, and just change it more frequently (say about the same frequency you change the engine oil).

Also, double check your manual to see if the Sportster EVO has a lifter oil supply screen that needs to be cleaned every time you change engine oil.

TQ

Thanks for the answers so far. This bike is a 1984 fxrdg. I was just wondering if these evo motors had oil pump problems. I also forgot to mention that the warmer it gets, it starts backfiring out of carb and exhaust. Is it possible that the lack of oil pressure would cause the lifters to collapse . Should i pull the oil pump and look for any damage. This is a unique bike and i don,t want to do any more damage than has done already. I have changed the oil and filter, plugs and fresh fuel. Thank,s again

Your working backward. Removing the pump and inspecting it won't tell you much about bearing clearances and how much oil pressure you presently have.

Slimjim; Congrats on buying that Disc Glide. I suggest putting a mechanical oil pump on it to verify pressure. They are cheap at parts house, a liquid filled one will cost a bit more. You can screw it right into the block behind the rear lifter block. Evo oil pumps were pretty reliable, but on occasion would shear the woodruff key.

Just an update. I changed the oil and filter, 20w50 mobil one. I started it up and watched the oil in the tank, it was circulation. The oil i drained out was like water and very dirty. I then took out the lifter filter and it was full of debris. There was no metal in it, it was rtv and lint! I fired the bike up and it was quiet at first, then started making noise again. I shut it off and fired it again and it has stopped making a racket. Took a maiden voyage around the block and still was quiet. The next stop was draining the transmission, big supprise that was nasty too! Refilled with syn oil. The next project is replacing the starter drive. I have bought new tires and will put them on this weekend. I need to get a seat for it,and then can go for a ride. I was quite amazed at the power compared to my 1200xlh. I plan to restore the bike back to factory condition. Well that,s it for now. :newsmile040:

Just an update. I changed the oil and filter, 20w50 mobil one. I started it up and watched the oil in the tank, it was circulation. The oil i drained out was like water and very dirty. I then took out the lifter filter and it was full of debris. There was no metal in it, it was rtv and lint! I fired the bike up and it was quiet at first, then started making noise again. I shut it off and fired it again and it has stopped making a racket. Took a maiden voyage around the block and still was quiet. The next stop was draining the transmission, big supprise that was nasty too! Refilled with syn oil. The next project is replacing the starter drive. I have bought new tires and will put them on this weekend. I need to get a seat for it,and then can go for a ride. I was quite amazed at the power compared to my 1200xlh. I plan to restore the bike back to factory condition. Well that,s it for now. :newsmile040:

You might want to pull the lifter filter and see if it is clogged up again. You may have to do this a few times until it runs fairly clean.

TQ

Back