free website stats program Oil Pump Problem - Newbie in Virginia | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pump Problem - Newbie in Virginia

mfaitak

Hey! New here and need advice. I ride an '06 Wide Glide (first Harley) and, after sitting in traffic (gotta love DC traffic) for an hour and forty-five minutes, the oil light came on the next time I rode. I immediately stopped it, hauled it home (U-Haul'd that is), changed the oil and put a gauge on it - no pressure. Called my local dealer and he said around $1000 - !!!!!!!!! So, how hard is it to change an oil pump? I do have some mechanical ability (20 years U.S. Air Force aircraft mechanic) and some tools. As a military retiree I don't have alot (any?) "spare" cash so this is kind of a gotta-do-it-myself type thing.

Thanks guys. Already got my "bible" and have been thumbing through it since this happened (seems like ages - 2 days ago). I work crazy hours (DuPont schedule - 12 hour rotating) and have a seven day break coming up. Guess the wrenching will start then if not sooner. Talked to a guy at Baisley Performance and ordered a new lifetime oil filter that doubles as a cooler and a new spring that is supposed to add 5-15 psi to the oil pressure. The person I talked to also said it may be nothing more than a stuck bypass valve (I hope, I hope, I hope). Won't know until I tear it up, er, down. Wish me luck and I'll keep ya'll (Virginia term, I'm a born yankee) in the loop.

Last edited:
I run into many stuck bypass valves.The smallest of particles will jam them up.Good luck and take your time.

Latest - Bad news. I replaced the spring in the bypass valve with a Baisley Performance product spring. It didn't seem any stronger but it has more coils. Once the cam support plate was off my heart sunk - first gerotor gear is broken in about four places. New pump (can't just get the gear set) is on order.

What's the pinion shaft look like?BTW you wouldn't want to replace just the gear set with damage like that.

Pinion looks good. Everything back together now. Posted another thread about build-up of oil coming out of the air filter (stage one kit, K&N filter). Not sure if I seated the umbrella valves all the way in the two breather assemblies I installed. Could this be the cause?

Make sure when you get the new oil pump you follow the instructions in the manual for installing it on the crankshaft. You don't have a pinion shaft on the twin cam setup. If you don't follow the instructions and put the pump on the shaft and don't align it you will break it. Just did this on my 99 Road King. Once the pump is changed you should not have the blow by unless you have ring or valve problems.
did you get the high volume pump to replace it? Good idea as it has better flow and cooling characteristics.:s

Oh, no pinion. Just looking at the main drive shaft and it looked okay. Aligned the pump as per instructions with a couple of screw posts from George's Garage while turning the rear wheel (that was a (edited). Pump is putting out about 42 psi cold. Took the rocker covers back off and re-did the breathers (inside "sponge" was dry(?)). Working up the courage to restart it. I DON'T WANT TO TEAR IT APART AGAIN!! But that's next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, no pinion. Just looking at the main drive shaft and it looked okay. Aligned the pump as per instructions with a couple of screw posts from George's Garage while turning the rear wheel (that was a (edited). Pump is putting out about 42 psi cold. Took the rocker covers back off and re-did the breathers (inside "sponge" was dry(?)). Working up the courage to restart it. I DON'T WANT TO TEAR IT APART AGAIN!! But that's next.

SS Gear Drive Install - Harley Davidson Community

Back