free website stats program oil Pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

oil Pressure

bigdep

I just bought a 2012 Trike and was looking at the oil pressure reading after riding it for 15 minutes and noticed the gauge was reading what I think is low. The gauge is hard to read but it looked like about 8 psi or less. When the engine is revving it does go up to 32 psi. Can anyone tell me if it might be the gauge or is that just normal for the 103? Is there a gauge you can by that has a finer graduation like 0-32 instead of the 0-60? Thanks

Only way to know for sure is to check the oil pressure with a test gauge that is a quality gauge. The factory gauge is not all that impressive and is a trendicator and not something to bank on IMO.

8 psi. at an idle and 32 psi. at higher rpm. when warm is normal on a high flow low pressure system.

I agree with Steve. I've read many posts concerning oil pressure at idle on the newer bikes and almost all drop way down. I've trained myself to not look at the gauge at hot idle. :p

8 psi. at an idle and 32 psi. at higher rpm. when warm is normal on a high flow low pressure system.

What he said! Normal. Oil pressure in pre '07 models would drop so low that sometimes the light would blink at idle. As Steve points out, the system is a high flow low pressure system.:s

Volume is the key here, the piston cooling jets require 5 psi to work you fall in that range I say check with a known good master gauge and ride it:s

NO Rattling in the Lifters at Idle, You Have plenty of oil pressure...

signed....BUBBIE

Volume is the key here, the piston cooling jets require 5 psi to work you fall in that range I say check with a known good master gauge and ride it:s

Not to be a "nit-picker" but the piston oilers are normally closed and it requires somewhere between 10-15 psi to open them. You can check a batch of new ones and the pressure required to open them will vary in that range.:s

Not to be a "nit-picker" but the piston oilers are normally closed and it requires somewhere between 10-15 psi to open them. You can check a batch of new ones and the pressure required to open them will vary in that range.:s

Thanks Dolt, I learned some thing new today:s

Back