free website stats program Oil Pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure

ldindvik

I ride an '03 Ultra Classic. I recently, like less than a 1000 miles ago, had the cam shaft tensioners replaced by Harley. So a few days ago I noticed that when I started the bike up first thing the oil pressure wouldn't come up and I could here it knocking until I revved it up. But today I went to ride it and even at higer rpm's my oil pressure was low, under 20, and the oil idiot light would come on.
So I'm wondering how do I determine if it is my oil pressure relief valve or my oil pump. When Harley replaced my cam shaft tensioners they said there was some metal in the oil pan, but none in the upper engine, so they just cleaned it up and I should be good to go.

yeah, it's definitely sitting until it's taken care of. Just need to see if the work they did on the tensioners is still under warranty.

yeah, it's definitely sitting until it's taken care of. Just need to see if the work they did on the tensioners is still under warranty.

Just as a guess I would say that the new tensioners are still OK. I would almost bet that a piece of the old tensioners has finally worked its way into something and finally caused some damage or plugged something up. I'm thinking that the dealer may not cover the new problem. Go in calm and try to let them work with you.

This has been an on going problem when pieces of the old tensioner shoes get passed thru the oil, If it is found in your oil pan it has surely gone thru the filter and the oil passages, my Spencerian when my engine grenade d tho my oil light had not come on yet the bottom end including the pistons were trash, get her checked out and good luck

DID the shoes came in Pieces? when they removed the old???? OR did they say?

It rare to have pump alignment at fault here for That much No Oil Pressure...

Your oil pump being stock? Might just have a "0" ring seal blown and allowing no oil JUST like you say...

I have had one do that (friends bike) and just re doing a New pump big gasket "0" ring. Pressure back fine...

Comes on a little at a time at first and gets worse as the Gasket gets further pushed Out of the pump....Loosing sealing the oil pump needs...

Hope it is the "0" ring...Much better fix and DON't run the motor at ALL...

When you rev the motor it would get pressure UP?... But not at idle... Hoping the "0" ring.

IF it was LONG ago, I doubt they will stand behind it BUT Cool talk Might get them to Look and see....Not a big job to do BUT if they do your work, give them a stab at it.

Usual culprits:

"0" ring came out or broken and allowing No oil pressure (especially idle)

Junk got into the oil pump and damaged the Gerotors.

Junk got into the PRValve and is holding it open. Does not take much

Let Us know...

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
I am inclined to think that Bubbie's last culprit may be the guy. The plunger in the pressure relief system is a fairly snug fit in the port. If some trash or plastic bits get in there, they can jam the plunger in position. That is what happened to me. Jammed the plunger in the full by-pass position so that there was no oil pressure until significantly rev'd. Bad practice to rev it though. Removing the p.r. system and cleaning everything did not really fix the problem. So I did the conversion '07+ version of the hyd. tensioners and roller chains. Installed the Baisley spring too, but that was too much with the new pump. Remember the oil pressure has to drop below 8-12 psi for the piston sprayers to cut off. So you don't want the pressure too high at idle. Just want flow!!

TQ

Well talked to the dealership today. It should be covered. Have a 60 day warranty on labor and 90 days on parts. It was Aug. 17 that I picked it up so all should be good there. I can only come up with 3 possible culprits; bad oil pump, stuck or bad oil pressure relief valve, or junk plugging something up from the old tensioners. Either of these 3 are things that should of been taken care of a month ago. When they replaced the tensioners they put in the new high volume oil pump. So hopefully I'll have it back very soon.

Bubbie, yes the old shoes had come apart. They found pieces in the oil pan, but said there was no indication that there was any debris in any other part of the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well talked to the dealership today. It should be covered. Have a 60 day warranty on labor and 90 days on parts. It was Aug. 17 that I picked it up so all should be good there. I can only come up with 3 possible culprits; bad oil pump, stuck or bad oil pressure relief valve, or junk plugging something up from the old tensioners. Either of these 3 are things that should of been taken care of a month ago. When they replaced the tensioners they put in the new high volume oil pump. So hopefully I'll have it back very soon.

The piston cooling jets have a tiny orifice, mine were blocked from debris it ruin the pistons and barrels, good luck on your bike:s

Bubbie, yes the old shoes had come apart. They found pieces in the oil pan, but said there was no indication that there was any debris in any other part of the engine.

That should Have come with the SE conversion cam-plate also...

The new High volume oil pump will not work using a stock cam-plate.

Disregard my upper post about the "0" ring on the pump and the other stuff.... The new oil pumps do not have one. Plate to Pump seals metal to metal...

More than Likely from the broken shoes...

I did not understand AND you did not say new style hydraulic tensioners and New style cam-plate Does come with that.

signed....BUBBIE

Back