free website stats program oil pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

oil pressure

markwink

Helped a friend out with new cam bearings and a SE oil pump and cam plate. When we first started the bike up all noise was gone and the oil light stayed off.Then after getting the engine warm after ridding it we hear lifter noise and the oil light comes on at idle.The local hd shop said we needed to realign the oil pump.Does this sound correct?
Mark

Helped a friend out with new cam bearings and a SE oil pump and cam plate. When we first started the bike up all noise was gone and the oil light stayed off.Then after getting the engine warm after ridding it we hear lifter noise and the oil light comes on at idle.The local hd shop said we needed to realign the oil pump.Does this sound correct?
Mark

I suspect you do. Check this out especially the part where I describe aligning the pump:

TQ's Engine Build

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Just installed the SE upgraded roller chain and oil pump, what should the oil pressure be with the new pump?

Just installed the SE upgraded roller chain and oil pump, what should the oil pressure be with the new pump?

When cold, the pressure is up around 40ish. After the oil warms up, the pressure stabalizes around 32-34 psi at operating speeds. At idle warm, it is down between 5-10psi (who can tell from these gauges).

TQ

When cold, the pressure is up around 40ish. After the oil warms up, the pressure stabalizes around 32-34 psi at operating speeds. At idle warm, it is down between 5-10psi (who can tell from these gauges).

TQ

I am aware the H-D gauges are not real accurate. The psi with stock pump was what you are saying.
It is higher with the new pump.
It is now around 45-50psi cold, 40psi at operating temp and speed and 15psi at idle.
Higher psi usually means less volume, I'm a concerened not enough oil is getting to the top end. No noise though!

I am aware the H-D gauges are not real accurate. The psi with stock pump was what you are saying.
It is now around 45-50psi cold, 40psi at operating temp and speed and 15psi at idle.
Higher psi usually means less volume, I'm a concerened not enough oil is getting to the top end. No noise though!

When you changed over to the new style pump, the Sump gerotor is Larger in width for more scavenging out of the crankcase. The newer pump (like in my stock 09) does pump more oil and uses the updated cam plate.

My 09 stock unit usually hits up to 45/50 lbs on a cold start. 40*/60* outside temps. Running at 35/40 area on a warmer day.

IF you have enough oil pressure and the Lifters are Not clanking, the top end is getting oil..

The Lifters push up the oil (not the Pump) to the top end...

The lifter has a paddle (piddle) that pushes oil thru the pushrod tube on each valve lift and that is how the oil gets there... Oil delivery is NOT associated with the adjustment of the push-rods as some think... If the lifter HAS oil, it will pump it to the top end.

No Noise in a lifter = Plenty of oil getting up there.UNLESS they are a faulty/worn-out lifter. Usually then they sound KLANKy no matter how much oil is there.

Keeping the lifters full of oil is the Key to Upper top end lubing.

*** I use 20/50 redline

signed....BUBBIE

No, this is the up-graded oil pump and cam support plate installed as part of the roller-chain conversion I did to the bike a number of years ago.

TQ

No, this is the up-graded oil pump and cam support plate installed as part of the roller-chain conversion I did to the bike a number of years ago.

TQ

Not sure of what you are saying here, the kit I installed is the SE from H-D.
I was unable to purchase a Herko kit, the gentleman was not taking orders.
The SE support plate is flat and looks nothing like the stock support plate or the Herko plate.
I researched before buying and found that the SE was the only kit available.
Something I am concerned about is the new pump faces directly up to the plate, no groove for an o-ring in the pump and no gasket, I checked several sources prior to the install to make sure this was correct, seems strange though.
I want to install a mechanical gauge, does anybody make one that will go into the fairing like the oem?

Not sure of what you are saying here, the kit I installed is the SE from H-D.
I was unable to purchase a Herko kit, the gentleman was not taking orders.
The SE support plate is flat and looks nothing like the stock support plate or the Herko plate.
I researched before buying and found that the SE was the only kit available.
Something I am concerned about is the new pump faces directly up to the plate, no groove for an o-ring in the pump and no gasket, I checked several sources prior to the install to make sure this was correct, seems strange though.
I want to install a mechanical gauge, does anybody make one that will go into the fairing like the oem?

I installed the kit I got from Herko. It was mostly HD stuff that John gathered up and made a very effective kit from. Same as the Andrews Products kit with more stuff (see Andrews Products link). That plate is an HD product. With Herko out of the picture, then the only two kits that I am aware of would be the Andrews Products kit and the SE kit. Jim's may have one, but I have not researched since I did mine. (See white paper)

(On my kit, and the same with the Andrews Products kit, there are two orings that fit between the pump and the plate. I would have assumed that the SE kit would have those also. Did the instructions that came with the SE kit not call for orings there?) This is NOT correct. I was writing this from memory, and not remembering this correctly. See below. TQ

Andrews Products motorcycle catalog (see page 5):

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/catalog/Andrews-catalog-motorcycle.pdf

TQ

Attachments

• Roller chain conversion kit white paper.pdf
    341.2 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Back