free website stats program Oil Pressure??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure???

89 FXRS

2001 Roadglide - with the bike fully warmed up,my oil pressure drops down to approx. 24 psi at times while on the freeway then it will go up to 32 psi and sometimes even higher - 34 psi, not sure how accurate the gauge is, I unpluged the sending unit and then pluged it back in and now it only drops to 26-28 psi then goes back up to 34 psi plus - was wondering if anyone has had this problem,not sure if my oil pump is putting out enough pressure or is it my sending unit or is it the gauge itself?

My 01 RG I want to say drops to about 10psi while idling.When on the hiway
pressure runs at 28-32 psi. I say this while sitting at work. But if different I'll update my info.

2001 Roadglide - with the bike fully warmed up,my oil pressure drops down to approx. 24 psi at times while on the freeway then it will go up to 32 psi and sometimes even higher - 34 psi, not sure how accurate the gauge is, I unpluged the sending unit and then pluged it back in and now it only drops to 26-28 psi then goes back up to 34 psi plus - was wondering if anyone has had this problem,not sure if my oil pump is putting out enough pressure or is it my sending unit or is it the gauge itself?

If you have not already done so, pop off the nose cone (cam cover) and check the spring-loaded cam chain tensioners. The outside one is obvious, but you also have to get an eyeball on the inside one. Use a cheap disposable dental mirror to get in there and see how it looks. Anything beyond half way is too much. And if there are bits of orange plastic in the cam chest, watch out!

The worry I have with your fluctuating oil pressure is that little bits of the tensioner shoes are jamming or at least restricting the movement of the pressure relief plunger causing the pump to by-pass too much oil (pressure).

If your tensioner shoes are worn, at least replace them. A better long term solution is the roller-chain conversion. See here:

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I looked it up in my fac. manual and it says that the oil pressure should be 30-38 psi @ 2,000 rpm with the bike fully warmed up - I don't believe that my bike has ever got over 32 psi @2,000 rpm while being at fully warmed up temp. - as a matter of fact mine puts out more like 25-28 @2,000 rpm - was wondering if anyone elses bike does in fact put out more than 32psi while @ 2,000 rpm?

Thanks for everyones respones - especially TQ's

If you are in doubt you can remove the sender and screw in a master gauge to verify the pressure:)

Tool that may be required to remove the oil pressure sending unit for the oil pressure gage. 15/16" Crows Foot Snap-On FC30B.

5524d1264723889-oil_light_flash-snap_on_1_1_16.jpg

TQ

I looked it up in my fac. manual and it says that the oil pressure should be 30-38 psi @ 2,000 rpm with the bike fully warmed up - I don't believe that my bike has ever got over 32 psi @2,000 rpm while being at fully warmed up temp. - as a matter of fact mine puts out more like 25-28 @2,000 rpm - was wondering if anyone elses bike does in fact put out more than 32psi while @ 2,000 rpm?

Thanks for everyones respones - especially TQ's

You have to remember here that the 1999 thru 2006 the oil pumps are NOT the best on Volume Flow,,, The NEWER style are much more in volume NOW and they do fit the older TC's and it is suggested to replace them with the one in the KIT.... The BONUS you get when you change over to the newer style cam tensioner hydraulic system is a New style oil pump and cam support plate... The KIT runs about 429. and that is about what i paid for the fueling high volume pump n lifters in 2001..

signed....BUBBIE

You have to remember here that the 1999 thru 2006 the oil pumps are NOT the best on Volume Flow,,, The NEWER style are much more in volume NOW and they do fit the older TC's and it is suggested to replace them with the one in the KIT.... The BONUS you get when you change over to the newer style cam tensioner hydraulic system is a New style oil pump and cam support plate... The KIT runs about 429. and that is about what i paid for the fueling high volume pump n lifters in 2001..

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, Im running an S&S gearplate and andrews cams, do you know if the Harley upgraded oil pump will work with this set up? My oil pressure at operating temp is 30-32psi at 2500rpm drops to 15 to 18psi at idle (1000rpm).

Bubbie, Im running an S&S gearplate and andrews cams, do you know if the Harley upgraded oil pump will work with this set up? My oil pressure at operating temp is 30-32psi at 2500rpm drops to 15 to 18psi at idle (1000rpm).

HDDon,

YES it is a straight apart-together with the pump...
When you put the NEW HD Higher Volume pump in... You will hear from the WISE ones here( TQ1 and other mods) that " mind you! ....change out the engine cam bearings to torringtons while apart IF you haven't done so already..

The NEW HD pump just has larger gearotors for More Volume of oil In and Out as compared to the stock HD one in the 06 and earlier bikes.. and will take More of the sump oil out of your engine also , solving a problem of foaming at the Air...

I have used the Fueling pump and I never saw oil pressure Lower an Hot idle than 18 lbs. and 40/45 on the engine.. on my dyna 2000FXDS... and that was there after 50,000 on the build..

Now I haven't Looked into the difference of the pumps but Both brag more Volume! some one here will post a out the door price on the pump by it's self and I bet the KIT is a good way to get all at a LOW $$$.. But just the pump In your case , You already addressed the Shoe problem by going gear!

signed....BUBBIE

In my opinion there is nothing Wrong with Your oil pressures Now, 15 low and 36 high is good... 30/32 hot in enough in my Book..

Do you use synthetics? Maybe mobil-1 V- twin (seams to be a little thicker to me) or I use 20/50 redline(thinner).

some will say you get Better pressure with syn oils but I feel NO as the Syn. SLIPPERY oil passes THRU the motors tight clearances Faster and THAT is where you get the Better COOLING from synthetics than Dino type oil... MY Opinion Only on this but I Bet i'm Right...

Oh oh
I'll get a fight on that statement!

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back